CNC prototyping

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2013
      Take a look at http://www.cncprototyping.co.nz/design-guide.html for a very useful guide.

      It doesn't exactly fit the MM, but it is worth a read.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
        Thanks Dave
        Great find!

        Pat

        It doesn't exactly fit the MM, but it is worth a read.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
          Whoops!
          Sent my post too soon. What I have been thinking about is a poor man's version of a CNC toolchanger. A mill would have two spindles, each mounted in the end cylinders of a 3 cylinder (geo metro? engine block). The center cylinder bore would contain a shaft that could be used as a pivot. When one spindle was in use the other spindle would be rotated out of the way, retracted, and the cutting tool  manually changed.  Hard for me to explain, I'll try to draw it.

          Pat

          It doesn't exactly fit the MM, but it is worth a read.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
            On 03/17/2013 05:05 PM, Pat Delany wrote:

            Whoops!
            Sent my post too soon. What I have been thinking about is a poor man's version of a CNC toolchanger. A mill would have two spindles, each mounted in the end cylinders of a 3 cylinder (geo metro? engine block). The center cylinder bore would contain a shaft that could be used as a pivot. When one spindle was in use the other spindle would be rotated out of the way, retracted, and the cutting tool  manually changed.  Hard for me to explain, I'll try to draw it.

            Pat

            Or a five cylinder Audi engine would work.  I see what you are discussing, but tool changes are WAY down the list.  Consider that any tool changer with multiple spindles needs tool offsets.  That means basically a CNC machine.

            A better choice is something like a Tormach changer with a single spindle and multiple holders, for a really big system, this Kearney & Trecker is amazing!

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2013
              On 03/17/2013 05:05 PM, Pat Delany wrote:

              Whoops!
              Sent my post too soon. What I have been thinking about is a poor man's version of a CNC toolchanger. A mill would have two spindles, each mounted in the end cylinders of a 3 cylinder (geo metro? engine block). The center cylinder bore would contain a shaft that could be used as a pivot. When one spindle was in use the other spindle would be rotated out of the way, retracted, and the cutting tool  manually changed.  Hard for me to explain, I'll try to draw it.

              Pat

              Here is the same mechanism run by EMC2 (LinuxCNC).  Since it works well, maybe the MM could be run similarly...