Re: [multimachine] Re: IMG-20130305-00121.jpg

    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 15, 2013
      On 03/12/2013 10:54 AM, Alexis wrote:
      They have put plates over the inserts to do the grit blasting for cleaning, as soon as they finish I will take photos and post them.

      Regards,

      Alexis

      As a simple request, when you take pictures of both sides, put a scale on the plate near the inserts.  It makes it a lot easier to figure out scale and (often) if something "looks wrong" lets one realize what is happening.  For instance, if the inserts are slightly bigger under the plates (I believe you said there were plates on the back), suddenly it becomes evident WHY the plates are there and they may be a loose (finger tight!) press fit from one side.

      Let's use an example, if the inserts have a tiny flange, pressing them in and securing them with plates MAY be necessary to prevent them from becoming loose from differential expansion or galvanic corrosion.

    • chris green
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 16, 2013
        I haven't tried to contact them, but if the contact form doesn't lead anywhere, try the phone number listed on the News page.
        + 44 7815 617147 )

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/contact/

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/news/

        They have another website at:
        http://www.practica.org/services/r-d/thermal-solar-pumps/

        That's probably a better avenue for contacting them...

        The received a grant and have set up production in Ethiopia.

        I notice that they say have decided to use 'modern synthetic materials' ( i.e., plastics) in order to reduce 'entrance condensation', which normally reduced the efficiency of a steam engine.  I'm pointing that out since there could be some criticism of the use of plastics.

        One possibility of this is that the condensed steam that comes from this device could be much more free of microbes, etc. Concentrated UV light could sterilize contaminated water quite quickly.
        That's a huge bonus....

        Now if we could find some kind of easily built cell to absorb things like arsenic, if arsenic is carried along in the steam... whoo-ee!
        (I got that idea from reading something at the ERE home page at Standford U this weekend. They are working on a new type of device to do something they are calling 'electrohydrogenation'. see:
        http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/march/winter-gcep-awards-031113.html )

        Cheers,

        Chris Green.

        On 2013-03-15, at 11:52 PM, chris green <hraefn_2@...> wrote:

        I came across this tonight: A solar powered steam pump is being developed to pump water.

        The machine is quite simple, and the target price for this is in the $250-$3000 range.

        Look under the Technical header for the How It Works heading, and check out the video on that page:

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/

        The pump is designed to work on boreholes 2" in diameter, and up to about 15 meters/ 50' deep...