Re: [multimachine] Re: don't try to make a multimachine out of this

  • BRIAN GLACKIN
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
      I could get dead engines (volvo's) from an Indy that specializes in repairing them.  Since he buys sells and repairs them, he usually has 1-2 engines every couple of months that he has to get rid of.  He usually just loads up a junk car that he traded in, loads it up with old rotors, mufflers, and other engine parts that he accumulates then flatbeds the whole shooting match to a scrap yard.  I know I could probably just get one for the taking if I pursued this.  Just too many other project and piles of rebuilds to do already.

      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Shannon DeWolfe <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

      You just have to be persistent and patient. I found two Mazda Miata
      blocks already stripped for $50. A bit later, I found a complete Volvo
      engine and transmission with all accessories, including the shifter for
      $60. Stick to the auto parts section, check it regularly. If you check
      it once a day, after the first search, you will only have to go through
      the things posted that day. Also, check the towns within driving distance.

      Another possibility are the many forums devoted to a specific model.
      Take the Miata for instance. It is a very popular hot rod, racer,
      drifter, etc. I will wager you could get damaged blocks for the cost of
      pickup. If you do that, consider the cost of the round trip to get the
      block before you commit; the closer the better.

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

      On 3/11/2013 9:49 PM, jgmrequel wrote:
      > Is there any tips for finding small engine blocks for homemade
      > horizontal mills? I guess I'm spoiled with craigslist, but not sure
      > where to look.

    • BRIAN GLACKIN
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
        Point of this was ( forgot to add).  Check a local your mechanic especially if he specializes in a particular brand of vehicle.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 15, 2013
          On 03/12/2013 05:42 AM, David Hair wrote:
          Go to a auto salvage yard and ask about core engines. These will be the
          exchange engines and may have a busted rod, burn oil, broken crank and such.
          All you have to do is strip it down and sell the metal you can't use to a
          metal salvage dealer.

          D.Hair

          Or you may find there is a LOT you can use.  Most modern engines use an aluminum alloy for pistons.  It can be cast into bearings with little effort and good success.

          Most modern engines have gears and timing belts or chains.  A timing belt can drive a spindle without slippage and the gears can make an external "back gear" mechanism.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 15, 2013
            On 03/11/2013 10:49 PM, jgmrequel wrote:
            Is there any tips for finding small engine blocks for homemade horizontal mills? I guess I'm spoiled with craigslist, but not sure where to look.

            Start with rebuilders, machine shops and scrap yards.  A common engine with a rod through the side is probably not very valuable for rebuilding, it can still make a good multimachine.  An old straight 8 or 6 may be a good candidate, there were LOTS of 4.0 Liter Jeeps.