Re: IMG-20130305-00121.jpg

  • Alexis
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 12, 2013
      They have put plates over the inserts to do the grit blasting for cleaning, as soon as they finish I will take photos and post them.

      Regards,

      Alexis

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Bellows <bbellows@...> wrote:

      > Regarding these inserts, what I have seen before is two inserts, one
      > pressed in from each side and meeting in the hole half way from each
      > side thereby creating a fully sleeved hole with a flange on each outer
      > face. If this is the case this is how they can be removed with minimal
      > or no damage assuming the interference fit is not to tight.
      >
      > Drill through the flange and main body from one side until you reach the
      > back side of the other flange. Tap the hole to receive a long bolt or
      > set screw to apply pressure to the back side of the flange. Do this at 4
      > places around the flange. Once one sleeve is remove the other can easily
      > be pressed out.
      >
      > Alexis, if you can post a few closeup pictures of these sleeves they can
      > be assessed much better.
      >
      > Bruce Bellows
      >
      > On 3/10/2013 11:29 AM, Dr. Alexis O'Neill wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't think we will be allowed to remove the inserts, since we can't
      > > guarantee no damage will occur during the process, but I will check
      > > out the website for the future. All these plates are not so
      > > complicated and the info may prove very useful later.
      > >
      > > Thanks and regards,
      > >
      > > Alexis
      > >
      > > Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel
      > > *From: * "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...>
      > > *Sender: * multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      > > *Date: *Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:17:24 -0400
      > > *To: *<multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
      > > *ReplyTo: * multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      > > *Subject: *Re: [multimachine] IMG-20130305-00121.jpg
      > >
      > > On 03/06/2013 07:05 AM, Bruce Bellows wrote:
      > >> Spray the plate, machine it, and then install the inserts. If the
      > >> inserts need to be a very tight fit, chill them prior to inserting them.
      > >>
      > >> There are existing tables that show the percentage of shrinkage and the
      > >> rate of expansion for metals when they are either chilled or heated.
      > >>
      > >> Bruce Bellows
      > >
      > > Just a thought:
      > >
      > > If the inserts can be removed ("shrunk" fittings can be impossible to
      > > remove without damage), considering reboring the holes and spraying
      > > the insides undersized, then reboring them to size. Also, unless the
      > > rules prohibit it, or the temperatures prevent it, Loctite (red grade)
      > > is your friend. For some variants of Loctite, the joint is not
      > > movable up to 300°, and once fully polymerized is food grade.
      > > Remember, let it set up for 48 hours in warm temperatures and wash off
      > > the surface with acetone (or Henkel's specific solvent) and a stiff
      > > nylon brush. Metal wires can scratch or transfer metal to the new
      > > surface.
      > >
      > > Contact Henkel ( http://www.henkel.com/welcome-to-loctite-12165.htm)
      > > and look into their Mexico specific site.
      > >
      > > Dave 8{)
      > >
      > > --
      > >

      > > /"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
      > > upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."/
      > >
      > > Mohandus Ghandi, An Autobiography, Page 446.

    • chris green
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 16, 2013
        I haven't tried to contact them, but if the contact form doesn't lead anywhere, try the phone number listed on the News page.
        + 44 7815 617147 )

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/contact/

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/news/

        They have another website at:
        http://www.practica.org/services/r-d/thermal-solar-pumps/

        That's probably a better avenue for contacting them...

        The received a grant and have set up production in Ethiopia.

        I notice that they say have decided to use 'modern synthetic materials' ( i.e., plastics) in order to reduce 'entrance condensation', which normally reduced the efficiency of a steam engine.  I'm pointing that out since there could be some criticism of the use of plastics.

        One possibility of this is that the condensed steam that comes from this device could be much more free of microbes, etc. Concentrated UV light could sterilize contaminated water quite quickly.
        That's a huge bonus....

        Now if we could find some kind of easily built cell to absorb things like arsenic, if arsenic is carried along in the steam... whoo-ee!
        (I got that idea from reading something at the ERE home page at Standford U this weekend. They are working on a new type of device to do something they are calling 'electrohydrogenation'. see:
        http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/march/winter-gcep-awards-031113.html )

        Cheers,

        Chris Green.

        On 2013-03-15, at 11:52 PM, chris green <hraefn_2@...> wrote:

        I came across this tonight: A solar powered steam pump is being developed to pump water.

        The machine is quite simple, and the target price for this is in the $250-$3000 range.

        Look under the Technical header for the How It Works heading, and check out the video on that page:

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/

        The pump is designed to work on boreholes 2" in diameter, and up to about 15 meters/ 50' deep...