Re: [multimachine] Machinerys Handbook

  • David Hair
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 11, 2013

      Thanks for the link.

      DH
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:33 AM
      Subject: Re: [multimachine] Machinerys Handbook

      Hi,

      The 1941 edition is also available as a download for free from www.archive.org see:

      All the best,
      Ian

      --- On Mon, 11/3/13, Dr. Alexis O'Neill <alexiso_nl@...> wrote:

      From: Dr. Alexis O'Neill <alexiso_nl@...>
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, 11 March, 2013, 11:17

      EBay!! Now you're talking!! Will buy one today! Why didn't I think of that??!!

      Thanks to all

      Alexis

      Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

      From: "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...>
      Sender: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:19:58 -0400
      To: <multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: multimachine@yahoogroups.com

      On 03/10/2013 10:22 PM, Bruce Bellows wrote:

      Alexis,

      Machinery's Handbook is available from Industrial Press and I think it is also available in Spanish. As the others have suggested this is a must have reference book for any engineer or machinist. I also strongly suggest that you get one in both English and Spanish. They are about $ 100.00

      https://new.industrialpress.com/machineryhandbook

      Bruce Bellows

      Very often you will find USED copies of older versions for small money (I got mine for $15.00 well used.)  Having an old copy is sometimes VERY valuable since old stuff sometimes gets "updated" by someone who knows only about more modern techniques (like calculators with a square root function.)

      Just checked eBay and there are a lot of copies, even on CD, for under $20.00.

    • chris green
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 16, 2013
        I haven't tried to contact them, but if the contact form doesn't lead anywhere, try the phone number listed on the News page.
        + 44 7815 617147 )

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/contact/

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/news/

        They have another website at:
        http://www.practica.org/services/r-d/thermal-solar-pumps/

        That's probably a better avenue for contacting them...

        The received a grant and have set up production in Ethiopia.

        I notice that they say have decided to use 'modern synthetic materials' ( i.e., plastics) in order to reduce 'entrance condensation', which normally reduced the efficiency of a steam engine.  I'm pointing that out since there could be some criticism of the use of plastics.

        One possibility of this is that the condensed steam that comes from this device could be much more free of microbes, etc. Concentrated UV light could sterilize contaminated water quite quickly.
        That's a huge bonus....

        Now if we could find some kind of easily built cell to absorb things like arsenic, if arsenic is carried along in the steam... whoo-ee!
        (I got that idea from reading something at the ERE home page at Standford U this weekend. They are working on a new type of device to do something they are calling 'electrohydrogenation'. see:
        http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/march/winter-gcep-awards-031113.html )

        Cheers,

        Chris Green.

        On 2013-03-15, at 11:52 PM, chris green <hraefn_2@...> wrote:

        I came across this tonight: A solar powered steam pump is being developed to pump water.

        The machine is quite simple, and the target price for this is in the $250-$3000 range.

        Look under the Technical header for the How It Works heading, and check out the video on that page:

        http://www.sunflowerpump.org/

        The pump is designed to work on boreholes 2" in diameter, and up to about 15 meters/ 50' deep...