Re: [multimachine] IMG-20130305-00121.jpg

  • Dr. Alexis O'Neill
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 8, 2013
      Shannon, the problem is that collar or whatever is on the back, too. It is exactly like the front in the picture instead of being flush with the surface. The ring is about 1 3/4 ". It can't be taken out without damaging the insert collar on either the front or the back, as it is 3/16" ss plate. RHb 81, or abouts. Not so hard, but not like aluminium, either.

      The customer told us not to take them out for fear of damaging the equipment, so we are going ahead with hand surfacing. I wish I had got a photo of the back. Maybe if I go to the shop early I can get one and it would be easier than explaining. I asked for both sides, but I got only one.

      I have a picture of the equipment showing the plates somewhere, maybe that will help. If we manage to get this job, we have to find a more efficient way to do this, as the majority of the newer machines are much larger and hand finishing is too time-consuming.

      It's great you keep coming up with ideas. If you guys aren't experts, I'd like to know who are!! I am learning so much here, and am looking for that book. There aren't a lot of Spanish translations of technical books, most people just use English ones, those who can, the rest stay in the dark. Which is part of the problem here. Language is an enormous barrier. Maybe I and my two English engineers can tackle a translation in English-Spanish-French-Portuguese, sort of a Pan-American book. It's a dream I have. It would be so helpful.

      Well, at least I can start with Spanish.

      Thanks for the help, I'll post the picture as soon as I get to work.

      Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

      From: Shannon DeWolfe <sdewolfe@...>
      Sender: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 06:05:03 -0600
      To: <multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [multimachine] IMG-20130305-00121.jpg

      I was making the solution for removing those inserts more complicated
      than it needs to be.

      Make a tool in this form:

      Make the OD of the tool a tight sliding fit to the ID of the stainless
      inserts. Tap the center for a large NPT plug. Pipe thread has a tapered
      thread form which will help the threads grip as the tool expands.

      Tighten the tool in the work. Expand the plate and shrink the insert
      with heat and chill. Use a soft drift and a mallet to drive the insert
      out of the plate. It should work and there is much less labor involved
      than my first idea of making a puller.

      As to vocabulary, I used the term "collet". Properly it should be called
      a mandrel. Or, as ENCO calls that tool, an arbor. There must be Spanish
      language reference books equivalent to the Machinery's Handbook; I just
      don't know what to use for search terms.

      Mr. Shannon DeWolfe
      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

    • chris green
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 16, 2013
        I haven't tried to contact them, but if the contact form doesn't lead anywhere, try the phone number listed on the News page.
        + 44 7815 617147 )

        They have another website at:

        That's probably a better avenue for contacting them...

        The received a grant and have set up production in Ethiopia.

        I notice that they say have decided to use 'modern synthetic materials' ( i.e., plastics) in order to reduce 'entrance condensation', which normally reduced the efficiency of a steam engine.  I'm pointing that out since there could be some criticism of the use of plastics.

        One possibility of this is that the condensed steam that comes from this device could be much more free of microbes, etc. Concentrated UV light could sterilize contaminated water quite quickly.
        That's a huge bonus....

        Now if we could find some kind of easily built cell to absorb things like arsenic, if arsenic is carried along in the steam... whoo-ee!
        (I got that idea from reading something at the ERE home page at Standford U this weekend. They are working on a new type of device to do something they are calling 'electrohydrogenation'. see:
        http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/march/winter-gcep-awards-031113.html )

        Chris Green.

        On 2013-03-15, at 11:52 PM, chris green <hraefn_2@...> wrote:

        I came across this tonight: A solar powered steam pump is being developed to pump water.

        The machine is quite simple, and the target price for this is in the $250-$3000 range.

        Look under the Technical header for the How It Works heading, and check out the video on that page:

        The pump is designed to work on boreholes 2" in diameter, and up to about 15 meters/ 50' deep...