IMG-20130305-00121.jpg

  • Dr. Alexis O'Neill
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 6, 2013
    Hello Dave and everyone,

    We have had a really busy few weeks but just wanted to let you all know the monster lathe project in Mexico is still alive, we are working one some of the ideas in engineering and as soon as we can all agree on a first step I will post the drawings to get some feedback from you experts!!

    In the meantime, I have a rather serious machining problem. The attached plate was sent to us to do as the sample I asked about earlier. We thought we had it all figured out as to how to machine this plate after we thermal sprayed it, but our CNC guy says there is no way to do this with the 3 round ss inserts that you see in the photos. The back side is equal with the addition of ss plates curving around the bottom of each insert, also. They do not want them sprayed or refinished.

    Is there a way to do this? If not by CNC, then by hand? How?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are desperate.

    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    Alexis

    Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel
  • chris green
    Message 45 of 45 , Mar 16, 2013
      I haven't tried to contact them, but if the contact form doesn't lead anywhere, try the phone number listed on the News page.
      + 44 7815 617147 )

      http://www.sunflowerpump.org/contact/

      http://www.sunflowerpump.org/news/

      They have another website at:
      http://www.practica.org/services/r-d/thermal-solar-pumps/

      That's probably a better avenue for contacting them...

      The received a grant and have set up production in Ethiopia.

      I notice that they say have decided to use 'modern synthetic materials' ( i.e., plastics) in order to reduce 'entrance condensation', which normally reduced the efficiency of a steam engine.  I'm pointing that out since there could be some criticism of the use of plastics.

      One possibility of this is that the condensed steam that comes from this device could be much more free of microbes, etc. Concentrated UV light could sterilize contaminated water quite quickly.
      That's a huge bonus....

      Now if we could find some kind of easily built cell to absorb things like arsenic, if arsenic is carried along in the steam... whoo-ee!
      (I got that idea from reading something at the ERE home page at Standford U this weekend. They are working on a new type of device to do something they are calling 'electrohydrogenation'. see:
      http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/march/winter-gcep-awards-031113.html )

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.

      On 2013-03-15, at 11:52 PM, chris green <hraefn_2@...> wrote:

      I came across this tonight: A solar powered steam pump is being developed to pump water.

      The machine is quite simple, and the target price for this is in the $250-$3000 range.

      Look under the Technical header for the How It Works heading, and check out the video on that page:

      http://www.sunflowerpump.org/

      The pump is designed to work on boreholes 2" in diameter, and up to about 15 meters/ 50' deep...