Re: [multimachine] Re: Dave or someone,e-leadscrew question

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4 9:30 AM
      Hi Stan
      I am going to ramble on a bit.
       Most machines, if you break them down  are basically simple.
      They are like the simple machine that I learned about in 3rd grade science class.

       I have worked for shops that build industal machines, and they used a lot of
      stock parts to make them.
      Sometimes it is just a matter to find the part you need.
      For you to fix the dryer ,it was just to find the correct parts to fit the machine.

      Most chain and stuff come in a stardard size for ease in repair incase the machine breaks
      down.

       A large machine seems like it is out of the question, but it is just finding the parts to make it.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4 2:13 PM
        On 02/28/2013 12:07 PM, Pat wrote:
        Is the eleadscrew board bug free enough to use by a very old man.

        Yes, it is.

        Is there software that will work with the free Sketchup?

        No.it doesn't work that way, you tell it what to cut and where and it does it.  Basically, you can cut a multipass thread, a machine taper or a straight section about as easily as you can type in a final diameter or description.  What is necessary is that you add a spindle sensor and the stepper motors.

        If you want constant SFPM facing, you will need a variable speed drive or a servo spindle.

        Just got the MM back from Dallas Makerspace and am thinking of doing something with it.

        The e-leadscrew would mean NO compound needed, NO thread synchronizer, NO change gears, NO threading gears, etc., thus making the lathe simpler.  I would recommend at least Acme leadscrews as all thread is not constant pitch (it is close, but not very, i.e. it might be +/- 0.01" over a two foot section.)

        brain seems to be finally recovering from spine surgery drugs

        Danger, drugs wearing off!  :^O

        Pat

        Another option, look at Keith Fenner on You Tube who is giving away a machinists tool box full of tools to a worthy entity.  Since this is your baby, I figured you would like the honors of writing up the entry if the MM was to be entered.