Re: [multimachine] Re: Dave or someone,e-leadscrew question

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
      Thanks Stan
      As soon as Jeremmy got the form built (from coffin wood) the monsoons hit and damaged the form (like most in Kenya, he has to work outside, this has been fixed I think). He then came down with malaria and that was followed by typhoid fever. Needless to say he ran out of money during this but is now catching up with work for him and his small construction crew.

      I think Jeremmy is as close to being a genius as anyone I have ever known. How can I say this? He learned to use Sketchup in just one day! My dream is that he will be able to keep the technology going when I can't. He can't do it by himself but with the help of 3 of my kids (no dummies themselves), he might be able to do it.

      Pat

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hi Stan
        I am going to ramble on a bit.
         Most machines, if you break them down  are basically simple.
        They are like the simple machine that I learned about in 3rd grade science class.

         I have worked for shops that build industal machines, and they used a lot of
        stock parts to make them.
        Sometimes it is just a matter to find the part you need.
        For you to fix the dryer ,it was just to find the correct parts to fit the machine.

        Most chain and stuff come in a stardard size for ease in repair incase the machine breaks
        down.

         A large machine seems like it is out of the question, but it is just finding the parts to make it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
          On 02/28/2013 12:07 PM, Pat wrote:
          Is the eleadscrew board bug free enough to use by a very old man.

          Yes, it is.

          Is there software that will work with the free Sketchup?

          No.it doesn't work that way, you tell it what to cut and where and it does it.  Basically, you can cut a multipass thread, a machine taper or a straight section about as easily as you can type in a final diameter or description.  What is necessary is that you add a spindle sensor and the stepper motors.

          If you want constant SFPM facing, you will need a variable speed drive or a servo spindle.

          Just got the MM back from Dallas Makerspace and am thinking of doing something with it.

          The e-leadscrew would mean NO compound needed, NO thread synchronizer, NO change gears, NO threading gears, etc., thus making the lathe simpler.  I would recommend at least Acme leadscrews as all thread is not constant pitch (it is close, but not very, i.e. it might be +/- 0.01" over a two foot section.)

          brain seems to be finally recovering from spine surgery drugs

          Danger, drugs wearing off!  :^O

          Pat

          Another option, look at Keith Fenner on You Tube who is giving away a machinists tool box full of tools to a worthy entity.  Since this is your baby, I figured you would like the honors of writing up the entry if the MM was to be entered.