Re: Large lathe for flame spray operations

  • pokerbacken
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2013
      Stainless can harden when worked, it can harden hard enough to require carbide to cut and even then wear can be excessive.

      actually a light cut of 0.01mm can be on tools than 1mm deep cut if tool is not extremely sharp and can "lift" the chip from the surface without rubbing the surface.
      success is dependent on machine and tool is being rigid and "high feed and slow speed".
      Least bit of squeal and/or vibration and the part is "lost" to workhardening.

      One of my teachers in school told us to set speed we thought and reduce to half of that and increase feed and depth of cut to 125-150% of what we would use on regular steel.