new guy planning a lathe build

  • ram51172
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2013
      hey, im new to this, and have some questions. anyone familiar with 4x4 truck axles? im contemplating using a truck spindle for my spindle, which would let me use roller wheel bearings, and also provide a way to adjust thrust. maybe even try to use the hub for the outer cartridge. what im concerned with is on the truck, the hub rotates on the stationary spindle, the opposite of how it would work in a lathe. any thoughts?
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2013
        On 02/02/2013 10:42 PM, ram51172 wrote:
        hey, im new to this, and have some questions. anyone familiar with 4x4 truck axles? im contemplating using a truck spindle for my spindle, which would let me use roller wheel bearings, and also provide a way to adjust thrust. maybe even try to use the hub for the outer cartridge. what im concerned with is on the truck, the hub rotates on the stationary spindle, the opposite of how it would work in a lathe. any thoughts?

        Yep, a truck spindle should be fine if you invert the disk rotor and use the rotor as the faceplate.  Any "full floating" axle should work equally well, but an independent suspension spindle should be MUCH easier to use.  If you want a hollow spindle, it will be trickier, but still possible.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2013
          On 02/02/2013 10:42 PM, ram51172 wrote:
          hey, im new to this, and have some questions. anyone familiar with 4x4 truck axles? im contemplating using a truck spindle for my spindle, which would let me use roller wheel bearings, and also provide a way to adjust thrust. maybe even try to use the hub for the outer cartridge. what im concerned with is on the truck, the hub rotates on the stationary spindle, the opposite of how it would work in a lathe. any thoughts?

          Just an odd thought, have you looked at the Ford Aerostar front hubs from the 4x4s?  They look like big passenger car FWD hubs.

          Another which I haven't looked at is the big GM/Ford FWD passenger cars  The smaller ones can handle 2 tons pretty easily and do require a through bolt (or axle stub), so it is faceplate and/or chuck, but not through hole.  I did build some equipment with a Cavalier hub (cheap!) and it was pretty simple to mount, a 1" grade 8 bolt (IIRC) went through nicely.

          Also, some of the newer FWD minivans could be potential donors.  Chrysler (Dodge and Plymouth) minivans rust out in no time flat, there might be plenty of parts in the boneyards.