BIG lead screw

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
      Let's start with some assumptions:

      He has industrial capabilities available.

      Starting with some dowel pins and big screw material (say 2" or more), the ends need to be machined for big dowel pins and a HUGE coupling nut must be made.  Screw the coupling nut on one side, press the dowel pin in and screw the other side in place, thus guaranteeing the threads match.Tighten until seated.  I would guess the screws will be in excess of 2"

      Once the screws are aligned and fastened, pins through the big dowel pins will be needed to ensure the screws will remain aligned.

      This makes it POSSIBLE for the leadscrews to be made from commercial "all thread."  The second or third task is to make a new leadscrew (since this one will wear out in a few months.)

      I think it can be done, but it will not be trivial or cheap.