Re: [multimachine] Wow! going to need help with this!

  • Adam Simmons
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 18, 2013

      OK, curious.  What the hell do you work on that's 30 ft long?

      On Jan 18, 2013 6:37 PM, "Shannon DeWolfe" <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

      STEP ONE: Choose wisely the building site for a 10 meter between centers
      lathe. The place it is built is the place it will be from now on. ;-)

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013

        Do you know whether or not the party making the request monitors the
        group? It might be helpful if he could ask questions directly of the
        6000 or so people here.

        The city of Torreón is a large industrial town. He has access to tools
        and materials. I reckon he has a specific job in mind for such a large
        lathe. Irrigation equipment? Rail equipment? Oil field? The parts he
        listed for reconditioning are not so large as to require a lathe of this
        size. There must be some industrial reason for it.

        Just thinking about the logistics of working with such a large lathe,
        construction plans have to include access to a rail head or staging
        area, a very large traveling crane, access to all sides sufficient for
        the work, and probably a hundred things of which I am ignorant.

        I have no idea how much this lathe will weigh. I am sure we could
        estimate accurately given fixed dimensions. The point is they will have
        to pour a slab with sufficient support for the weight of the lathe and
        the weight of the work. This will have to happen before lathe
        construction can begin. He may have someone on staff that can plan the
        shop but I will wager he does not have anyone that has worked with
        concrete. If he can afford it, he should get a consultant from CEMEX
        involved. If he can calculate the forces for turning 10 tons, they can
        calculate the cement mix and reinforcement requirements.

        One thing that comes to mind immediately is that I would eliminate the
        pipe ways. Pour the foundation with the ways incorporated, cap with
        steel plate, and pour Moglice (or other brand) epoxy bearing surface.

        http://www.moglice.com/articles/hydrostaticrepair.pdf

        If any of you guys have any experience working with large pieces, chime
        in here on the needs of the machinist, concrete requirements, and
        elements that must be staged as the project progresses.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
          How do you thread a lead screw 10 meters long?

          Mr. Shannon DeWolfe
          --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
            HI Shannon
             Building a mega machine is going to be a major task.

             They didn't say how large a diameter work it needed to turn,
            That would have to be figured in the design.

            I roughlly figure the whole machine is about 40 feet long.
             If you want to turn 10 meter between centers( 33 feet) you are going to
             need about 36 feet for the ways.The rest is for the tailstock to sit on.
             That would be a 40ft concrete beam for the bed , a lot of re-bar.

             The headstock is going to take up 3-4 feet.
             Building a spindle to hold a 10 ton load is going to be a
             large size part.
             Does the spindle need to be hollow?

            On 1/18/2013 4:55 PM, Pat wrote:

            > Got this today
            >
            > I am looking for a way to build a large lathe in Mexico. There isn´t
            > one in our city of Torreon or anywhere near and we desperately need
            > one of these expensive machines. We are setting up a thermal spray
            > workshop to try to teach the methods of reclamation of autoo parts,
            > such a crankshafts, clutch plates, etc., because now these are
            > considered just junk metal. Almost no one in this country knows of
            > this process, so we do a lot of work at cost to try to convince them
            > to do the work here instead of sending it to the US. We can learn to
            > do this here, but we have discovered that without a metal lathe, we ae
            > limited in the processes. WE need a 10 meter point ot point with a 10
            > ton workpiece capacity. These plans give us the first ope of actually
            > being able to do what we planned within the immediate future. Please
            > help us to achieve our goals. Thank you.
            >
            > Pat

            ------------------------------------

            -------------
            We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

            Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Thomas S. Knutsen
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
              One option, but I can say for sure that it won't be accurate is to thread the length of the lathe, with an rest on the end, then move the part, chase the thread and then continue to thread. Repeat untill it looks like an lead screw. A lot of job if you expect accuracy, and you need an rest on both sides of the shaft in addition to one on the lathe.

              There was several large lathes avaible both from American and USSR, it may be wise to look around and see if he can get one used. Most of the time large lathes are well kept and little used, so he may get an good deal, but the shipping may kill that idea.

              BR.
              Thomas.

              --

               Please  avoid sending  me  Word  or  PowerPoint  attachments.
               See  <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                Hello Thomas,

                Once the size gets over about 3 meters between centers, the prices
                increase exponentially. Even on the used market, a lathe over 10 meters
                between centers will sell for over $100,000. Plus transport. If he could
                get one for parts, that would be ideal. But, even salvage value is not
                inexpensive. No matter how he goes about this, it is going to cost a
                lot. He will need a pattern maker, a tool maker, a mill wright, a
                foundry, and pig iron; there is no way around that. The concrete bed and
                headstock can save him a bundle but the bearing houses, back plate,
                followers, carriage, cross slide, and tail stock will require large
                castings. He will need steel, babbit, and bronze. Above all, he will
                need people who know what they are doing.

                This is a major undertaking. I wish him well and hope to see the
                finished machine.

                For design ideas, here are some lathes in the 10 meter range:

                http://www.harrismachinetools.com/index.php?/welcome/details/15360

                http://www.harrismachinetools.com/index.php?/welcome/details/15232

                http://www.harrismachinetools.com/index.php?/welcome/details/15121

                http://www.harrismachinetools.com/index.php?/welcome/details/15103

                On 1/19/2013 9:10 AM, Thomas S. Knutsen wrote:
                > There was several large lathes avaible both from American and USSR, it
                > may be wise to look around and see if he can get one used.
              • jacot
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Normaly we put 2 late front to front here in valcartier quebec for long
                  pieces cannon 155

                  Jack 47'n 71'W

                  Pat,

                  -------------Yahoo! Groups Links
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                    I will certainly send him to the group!

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                      Thanks Keith
                      All very important questions!

                      One idea I had was to build one based around the biggest Ebay 4 jaw chuck and using new train rails as the ways.
                      Another idea I had was to use part of some industrial machine as the spindle,  faceplate  and center. If the workpiece was center drilled already then work between centers ???

                      all a wet dream but think of the lovely pictures!

                      Very much over my head!

                      Pat

                      ------------------------------------

                      -------------

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013

                        I work before on one like this about 50 feeth

                        At davy ship yard

                        Maybe you ca see around  you where the best ship yard  in mexico

                        Jack 47’n 71’w

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                          On 01/18/2013 05:55 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

                          Just as a point to ponder, take a look at a Yeomans lathe with a big shell in it.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                            On 01/18/2013 09:37 PM, Shannon DeWolfe wrote:
                            STEP ONE: Choose wisely the building site for a 10 meter between centers
                            lathe. The place it is built is the place it will be from now on. ;-)

                            Indeed!

                            A big lathe (like this or so) is NO fun to move!

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                              On 01/19/2013 07:57 AM, Shannon DeWolfe wrote:
                               and probably a hundred things of which I am ignorant.

                              How about enough power to run it and safety gear?

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                                On 01/19/2013 09:49 AM, Shannon DeWolfe wrote:
                                How do you thread a lead screw 10 meters long?

                                A section at a time.  Once you cut holes in two ends, you use a dowel pin to lock them together and a cutting head mounted ton a virtual nut.  As thw tool reaches the next section, the nut is still on the [rior sxection and can be used to cut the thread through the attaching "crud"...

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                                  On 01/19/2013 10:10 AM, keith gutshall wrote:
                                   The headstock is going to take up 3-4 feet.

                                  I would guess even more, but that is based on some monster lathes where the headstock was 6+' long.  Each bushing (anti-friction rolling element bearings may be too expensive) will be around 6" wide, expect at least two.  Now, add in the belt drive (8" or more wide) and you get to 2' in a short time.  Add a few more things and...

                                   Building a spindle to hold a 10 ton load is going to be a large size part.

                                  Yes, but it will be trivial compared to the rest.  Big truck engine bearings should do the deed, but will need a high pressure oil system.

                                   Does the spindle need to be hollow?

                                  Generally, yes.  It makes for easier tooling mounting.

                                  This may be an example where CNC is CHEAPER than mechanical change gears.  AN old PIV may be so close to free it doesn't matter.

                                • Bruce Bellows
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                                    We have a company up here in Toronto with a few machines this size. They do a fair amount of work for the steel rolling mills. To install a machine of this size it will also need a fairly substantial concrete foundation under it. Having worked in Torreon 10 years ago I know there is a robust automotive parts industry there.

                                    A lathe this size would need a fair amount of engineering. You don't just turn 10 tons very easily without a lot of load calculations.

                                    Bruce

                                    On 1/18/2013 10:57 PM, Adam Simmons wrote:

                                    OK, curious.  What the hell do you work on that's 30 ft long?

                                    On Jan 18, 2013 6:37 PM, "Shannon DeWolfe" <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

                                    STEP ONE: Choose wisely the building site for a 10 meter between centers
                                    lathe. The place it is built is the place it will be from now on. ;-)

                                    --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

                                    On 1/18/2013 6:29 PM, keith gutshall wrote:
                                    > This sound like it is over in Mega-machine territory.

                                  • Stan
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                                      Hi Guys!
                                       This all depends on how accurate you want. Here is a real rough concept.
                                        Two large single axle complete trucks, at least one runs. Jack them up without wheels. over a bed of railroad rails, 4 feet off the ground . pour concrete around the axles and frames. The non-running truck on a rail dolly of some sort. Lock it with jacks.  A piece of 1"?  plate 6 feet across for a face plate on one rear axle, the truck that runs. .  A drill stem bolted to the other truck axle for a center. Also some of us  guys remember the pulp wood trucks with the pto axle winch. The 2 brake master cylinders one for stop, the other on the far side for a spindle speed feather. The engine and transmission factory installed run it. The brake takes up the drivetrain slop until under a load. I had a single axle truck with a 38,000 lb axle and a 200 hp cat 3208 in it. I paid $3000 for it and drove it 8 hours a day for 5 years. I think total parts cost could be $30,000. sourcing easy. You could Just scale up a modified standard carriage. Winch it both ways with a cable winch. Tooling would be expensive. Most used trucks and buses I know of head south of the border anyway. Hardest part is alignment. 6 Foot by 20 -30' or larger possible? Rough, I know, but conceivable, if not practicle. Maybe start with 2 pickups?

                                      Stan

                                      ToolFools Talk

                                      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" wrote:

                                      > On 01/19/2013 10:10 AM, keith gutshall wrote:
                                      > > The headstock is going to take up 3-4 feet.
                                      >
                                      > I would guess even more, but that is based on some monster lathes where
                                      > the headstock was 6+' long. Each bushing (anti-friction rolling element
                                      > bearings may be too expensive) will be around 6" wide, expect at least
                                      > two. Now, add in the belt drive (8" or more wide) and you get to 2' in
                                      > a short time. Add a few more things and...
                                      >
                                      > > Building a spindle to hold a 10 ton load is going to be a large size
                                      > > part.
                                      >
                                      > Yes, but it will be trivial compared to the rest. Big truck engine
                                      > bearings should do the deed, but will need a high pressure oil system.
                                      >
                                      > > Does the spindle need to be hollow?
                                      >
                                      > Generally, yes. It makes for easier tooling mounting.
                                      >
                                      > This may be an example where CNC is CHEAPER than mechanical change
                                      > gears. AN old PIV may be so close to free it doesn't matter.

                                      > /"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
                                      > upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."/
                                      >
                                      > Mohandus Ghandi, An Autobiography, Page 446.

                                    • Stan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 19, 2013
                                        I forgot this . A $20 laser aimed accurately down the ways and a piece
                                        of paper to help "true" the stock. Operator manually adjusts.

                                        stan