Re: [multimachine] Re: open source documentary

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
      On 01/17/2013 04:40 PM, Pat wrote:
      It's in the site blurb (above)
      http://opensourcemachine.org/the-multimachine/multimachine-video

      Just to point out, this is an older version of the MM, pre Yeoman's great help.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
        Thanks Dave

        I should have added that.

        There are no rules that determine which machine is best. Conditions are vastly different in every part of the world.

        Pat

        Just to point out, this is an older version of the MM, pre Yeoman's great help.

      • David R Forrest
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
          Hi Pat,

          The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle. There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

          Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

          Dave

          --
          Dr. David Forrest
          drf@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013

            Pat, I don't think it is stupid at all... It demonstrates just how rigid that combination of cartridge spindle running in an engine bore really is.  Most home-built machines (and all but the really expensive commercial ones) would flex and chatter doing something like that.  The casual way you take it, and just how little stress that cut puts on the machine is a real indication of just how solid the setup is.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
              On 01/18/2013 01:16 PM, David R Forrest wrote:
              Hi Pat,

              The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle.  There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

              Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

              Dave

              Pat;

              Just as a thought, how big a deal would it be for your son to make a few sets and sell them?  Using a standard (like the SB 2 1/4-8 UN setup) I bet he could turn them out in no time.  Even with 2X taxes, they would STILL be cheap!

              Then make parts for a Yeomans capsule.  The parts would be cheap due to his CNC stuff and the low cost of materials.  All he adds is a hunk od Sch 160 pipe, possibly oil field scrap!