Re: [multimachine] Fwd: open source documentary

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013

      The scene where Pat cuts about 1/8" off the radius of a steel bar, shearing through a shcs in the process is a real eye opener.  I've showed that to a few professional machinists who use big iron all day, and most are quite surprised to see adiy machine do that so effortlessly.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
        Thanks Pierre
        Just a case of my doing stupid things!

        Pat

        The scene where Pat cuts about 1/8" off the radius of a steel bar, shearing through a shcs in the process is a real eye opener.  I've showed that to a few professional machinists who use big iron all day, and most are quite surprised to see adiy machine do that so effortlessly.

      • David R Forrest
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
          Could you give a pointer to the video? I wasn't able to find a link in these emails or on the yahoo site.

          Dave

          --
          Dr. David Forrest
          drf@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
            Hi Dave
            It's in the site blurb (above)
            http://opensourcemachine.org/the-multimachine/multimachine-video

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
              On 01/17/2013 04:40 PM, Pat wrote:
              It's in the site blurb (above)
              http://opensourcemachine.org/the-multimachine/multimachine-video

              Just to point out, this is an older version of the MM, pre Yeoman's great help.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                Thanks Dave

                I should have added that.

                There are no rules that determine which machine is best. Conditions are vastly different in every part of the world.

                Pat

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Hi Pat,

                  The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle. There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

                  Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013

                    Pat, I don't think it is stupid at all... It demonstrates just how rigid that combination of cartridge spindle running in an engine bore really is.  Most home-built machines (and all but the really expensive commercial ones) would flex and chatter doing something like that.  The casual way you take it, and just how little stress that cut puts on the machine is a real indication of just how solid the setup is.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                      On 01/18/2013 01:16 PM, David R Forrest wrote:
                      Hi Pat,

                      The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle.  There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

                      Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

                      Dave

                      Pat;

                      Just as a thought, how big a deal would it be for your son to make a few sets and sell them?  Using a standard (like the SB 2 1/4-8 UN setup) I bet he could turn them out in no time.  Even with 2X taxes, they would STILL be cheap!

                      Then make parts for a Yeomans capsule.  The parts would be cheap due to his CNC stuff and the low cost of materials.  All he adds is a hunk od Sch 160 pipe, possibly oil field scrap!