Re: [multimachine] Fwd: open source documentary

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
      I got it too. Pat has it.

      Mr. Shannon DeWolfe
      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013

        The scene where Pat cuts about 1/8" off the radius of a steel bar, shearing through a shcs in the process is a real eye opener.  I've showed that to a few professional machinists who use big iron all day, and most are quite surprised to see adiy machine do that so effortlessly.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
          Thanks Pierre
          Just a case of my doing stupid things!

          Pat

          The scene where Pat cuts about 1/8" off the radius of a steel bar, shearing through a shcs in the process is a real eye opener.  I've showed that to a few professional machinists who use big iron all day, and most are quite surprised to see adiy machine do that so effortlessly.

        • David R Forrest
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
            Could you give a pointer to the video? I wasn't able to find a link in these emails or on the yahoo site.

            Dave

            --
            Dr. David Forrest
            drf@...
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
              Hi Dave
              It's in the site blurb (above)
              http://opensourcemachine.org/the-multimachine/multimachine-video

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                On 01/17/2013 04:40 PM, Pat wrote:
                It's in the site blurb (above)
                http://opensourcemachine.org/the-multimachine/multimachine-video

                Just to point out, this is an older version of the MM, pre Yeoman's great help.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                  Thanks Dave

                  I should have added that.

                  There are no rules that determine which machine is best. Conditions are vastly different in every part of the world.

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Hi Pat,

                    The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle. There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

                    Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013

                      Pat, I don't think it is stupid at all... It demonstrates just how rigid that combination of cartridge spindle running in an engine bore really is.  Most home-built machines (and all but the really expensive commercial ones) would flex and chatter doing something like that.  The casual way you take it, and just how little stress that cut puts on the machine is a real indication of just how solid the setup is.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                        On 01/18/2013 01:16 PM, David R Forrest wrote:
                        Hi Pat,

                        The most awkward part of the multimachine looks like machining the spindle.  There's some about it in the instructions, but fitting the spindle pipe to fit the bearings seems as least as important as having the block bored to fit the bearings.

                        Does nominal pipe to fit the nominal bearings adequately, or does fitting the two together require additional machining?

                        Dave

                        Pat;

                        Just as a thought, how big a deal would it be for your son to make a few sets and sell them?  Using a standard (like the SB 2 1/4-8 UN setup) I bet he could turn them out in no time.  Even with 2X taxes, they would STILL be cheap!

                        Then make parts for a Yeomans capsule.  The parts would be cheap due to his CNC stuff and the low cost of materials.  All he adds is a hunk od Sch 160 pipe, possibly oil field scrap!