No Tech Magazine

  • oldhermit
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
      If this was mentioned before, I forgot.
      The concrete lathe is next to last at the bottom of the page.
      http://www.notechmagazine.com/page/3/
      Harold
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
        Thanks Harold!
        I missed it too.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
          On 01/09/2013 05:46 AM, oldhermit wrote:
          If this was mentioned before, I forgot.
          The concrete lathe is next to last at the bottom of the page.
          http://www.notechmagazine.com/page/3/
          Harold

          Actually, it moved to the top of page 4, I would assume it will continue to move as other things get added.

        • oldhermit
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2013
            Thanks Dave. I should have realized it would move as things were added.
            Harold

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" wrote:

            > On 01/09/2013 05:46 AM, oldhermit wrote:
            > > If this was mentioned before, I forgot.
            > > The concrete lathe is next to last at the bottom of the page.
            > > http://www.notechmagazine.com/page/3/
            > > Harold
            >
            > Actually, it moved to the top of page 4, I would assume it will continue
            > to move as other things get added.

            > /"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
            > upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."/
            >
            > Mohandus Ghandi, An Autobiography, Page 446.

          • Benjamin Bof
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2013
              my contribution to No Tech
              Brine arc welding equipment

              On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM, oldhermit <orwhut@...> wrote:

              Thanks Dave. I should have realized it would move as things were added.
              Harold

              --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" wrote:

              > On 01/09/2013 05:46 AM, oldhermit wrote:
              > > If this was mentioned before, I forgot.
              > > The concrete lathe is next to last at the bottom of the page.
              > > http://www.notechmagazine.com/page/3/
              > > Harold
              >
              > Actually, it moved to the top of page 4, I would assume it will continue
              > to move as other things get added.

              > /"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
              > upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."/
              >
              > Mohandus Ghandi, An Autobiography, Page 446.

            • Larry Bentley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
                As Benjamin would tell you this can be dangerous.  But what is happening here is one side of the two wires of a standard AC receptical is referenced to ground.  The other wire is at line voltage. This is true on both U.S. 120VAC and overseas 220-240VAC.  The grounded conductor is fairly safe to handle, and is attached to the workpiece same as ground lead on any other arc welder.  The brine (salt) water in the container acts as a current limiting resistor to prevent the a dead short that would trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse.  The line voltage is passed through the brine (pure water isn't a great conductor) by placing two metal pieces, one to the line voltage from the breaker and the second going to the welding lead.  Current control is done by varying the distance between the two metal pieces and the salt concentration.  Do not let the metal pieces contact each other.  The brine solution will get HOT and can boil, this can lead to the container melting, but don't try to use a metal container.  The welding rod is at FULL LINE voltage to earth ground, and any contact with any grounded metal or conductive earth surface will arc.  Since people can be injured by about 1/20th of an amp of current, this line voltage welding must be done very carefully and with knowledge of the dangers.  But it does work, just know what you can and can't do.  Changing the rod barehanded can result in a shock, here the pliers have a taped handle providing insulation, but if your hand slips onto the bare metal there is a severe risk.

                So, yes it can be done and done safely but there is a real risk of dying if you don't know what you can safely do and what will KILL you.

                And yes a welding current can flow ABOVE the rating of the circuit breaker.  Breakers are designed to allow motor starting loads to occur without tripping and can carry 2-3 time their rated current for a very few seconds.  I once measured a 20 amp breaker carrying about 60 amps of load trying to start a locked air conditioner compressor motor for about 10-12 seconds before it tripped.  It rattled and buzzed loud enough to tell something was wrong but it held for quite a while.

                Be careful out there.  You all are creative people and the world needs every creative person we can get.

                Larry
                Thanks Dave. I should have realized it would move as things were added.
                Harold

                --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" wrote:

                > On 01/09/2013 05:46 AM, oldhermit wrote:
                > > If this was mentioned before, I forgot.
                > > The concrete lathe is next to last at the bottom of the page.
                > > http://www.notechmagazine.com/page/3/
                > > Harold
                >
                > Actually, it moved to the top of page 4, I would assume it will continue
                > to move as other things get added.

                > /"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
                > upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."/
                >
                > Mohandus Ghandi, An Autobiography, Page 446.

              • GGB
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Damn that looks dangerous. All that joking and horsing around is a real distraction. The guy stirs the solution with a hammer holding the metal head, who knows the insulating ability of his shoe soles. And although the circuit breakders obviously can't handle the current, the guy repeatedly flips them back and forth as though miraculously that will fix the problem. Exposed metal all over the place. Danger danger danger, fools at work.

                  Paul
                • oldhermit
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
                    I once sent off for plans for a brine welder and never built it. As accident prone as I am, it's probably a good thing. I've even gotten a few good tingles from a transformer welder.
                    Harold