Re: [multimachine] Aid to drilling with hand drill at 90 degrees

  • chris green
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
      Years ago, I built a vee-trough shaped guide similar to the one shown here (without mirrors) for a cheap electric hand drill I had then.

      I drilled a hole in a piece of hardwood, using my drill press, placed a 1/4" dowel in the hole, to steady the hand drill, then glued a guide block on the drill that looked like a halved piece of 2x2 stock.
      The vee-trough guide kept the block in place while the glue on the drill cured.
      Once this was done, the drill and vee-trough guide worked as a nifty portable drill press for drilling holes at right angles where a drill press wasn't an option (walls, for instance).

      Basically the same as the two mirrors do in the illustration. But I didn't have to rely on sighting the drill up to mirrors.

      Eventually the $19 Wal-Mart drill died, after around 25 year's home use. :-)

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.