Re: [multimachine] Twittering our project ? relevant links needed

  • mlsmith@directionassociates.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
      Probably need both. Younger folks are all about Facebook, twitter, etc.

      Some of us "more experienced" (read: "Old, and stuck in our ways") folks are email / forum types. I personnally don't do facebook (high school for adults), texting or tweeting ( a boatload of useless messaging on topics not worthy of my limited time ) . . .  we each can choose how to communicate most effectively to friends and family. Each method has pro's / con's.

      Mike S.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013

        I'm a younger member (19 years old) of the group and agree that the best way to spread awareness and find new members is through facebook and twitter, I only signed up to Yahoo Groups just so I could follow this group but if there was a twitter or facebook page, I would have prefered it.

        Chaz

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
          Chaz pretty much summed up what I was thinking. He did join the group;
          but only because he needed to in order to get the information he wanted.

          I suggest a chain of information. Twitter announcements of Facebook
          posts. Post to Facebook a link, photo, or drawing with a short
          explanation and then link from there to a forum where the meat of the
          information is located. As much as I like getting the multimachine group
          emails delivered right to my email, the group is extremely limited.
          Messages are not search friendly when you are looking for specific
          information. Links get lost. Posts are forgotten about until it is
          covered again. Our uploads are limited (in fact, nearly full now, the
          reason for the mm-concrete group, etc.) Everything here could be
          transferred over a period of time to a forum. A forum can be configured
          to allow an email subscription to a thread. When it is updated, an email
          is sent with a link to the latest posting.

          I have more thoughts on this subject but I am busy today. Someone else
          fill in the gaps in my thinking, please. ;-)

          --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

        • bhu678@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
            I think it says something that we have only one positive response so far.  I would much prefer a forum myself.  All of my car forums are very active, and topics are easy to follow, unlike a mailing list.  No use for Twitter or Facebook,  I escaped high school long ago.  If forums work so well for car guys, then they will definitely work well for this project.  Check out hybridz.org or ratsun.net for two good examples.  After we get a forum, a wiki would be a good next step.

            Scott B

            On 1/1/2013 10:55 AM, Shannon DeWolfe wrote:

            Chaz pretty much summed up what I was thinking. He did join the group;
            but only because he needed to in order to get the information he wanted.

            I suggest a chain of information. Twitter announcements of Facebook
            posts. Post to Facebook a link, photo, or drawing with a short
            explanation and then link from there to a forum where the meat of the
            information is located. As much as I like getting the multimachine group
            emails delivered right to my email, the group is extremely limited.
            Messages are not search friendly when you are looking for specific
            information. Links get lost. Posts are forgotten about until it is
            covered again. Our uploads are limited (in fact, nearly full now, the
            reason for the mm-concrete group, etc.) Everything here could be
            transferred over a period of time to a forum. A forum can be configured
            to allow an email subscription to a thread. When it is updated, an email
            is sent with a link to the latest posting.

            I have more thoughts on this subject but I am busy today. Someone else
            fill in the gaps in my thinking, please. ;-)

            --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

            On 1/1/2013 9:32 AM, Chaz Petersen wrote:

            > I'm a younger member (19 years old) of the group and agree that the
            > best way to spread awareness and find new members is through facebook
            > and twitter, I only signed up to Yahoo Groups just so I could follow
            > this group but if there was a twitter or facebook page, I would have
            > prefered it.
            >
            > Chaz

          • StoneTool
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
              I find facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc..........   useless time wasters.

                  Not being a particularly "socially oriented" person this is hardly surprising.   Twitter probably has some potential uses.  Here is a page that describes how to use it:   http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Twitter

                                                                                          Howard

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                I know Facebook is important but you guys don't know how bad my health is. A few weeks ago my energy level was falling so fast that my wife and I (independently) thought I was about to die.
                No big deal, my only thoughts were about keeping the project and Jeremmy going.

                Pat

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Good job Shannon

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                    I have always felt the same way but my son says the way twitter was used in the last election shows how everything has changed.

                    Pat

                    I hate to start something I don't really understand but one of my sons (who makes his living at things like this) has convinced me that Twitter is the best way to get the word out about projects like ours.

                    I need your help to build up a list of relevant links that I can Tweet.

                    Pat

                  • Stan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                      Hi Guys!
                       My offer of a separate forum board on ToolFools Talk  and just starting Wiki still stands. The forum has the twitter, facebook and Google1 plug ins already. I might be able to do the same for the wiki. It is already set up. I am not a pro web designer, and have a few problems with upload size that can be worked out. This project is on-topic for both. Of course no charge. There are a few ads that should be relevant, and will help with the hosting costs. They are not that much. It is crawled by indexing bots constantly. I had 200,000 page views first year. Getting near 1000 a day and growing. I would be honored if you used my sites. If you want to start your own,  or somebody elses, I will support it all I can.
                      Good Luck and have a happy, healthy, prosperous new year!

                      Stan Campbell
                      ToolFools.com/forum

                      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany wrote:

                      > I have always felt the same way but my son says the way twitter was used in the last election shows how everything has changed.
                      >
                      > Pat
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Stan
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                        There is another social media, Stumbleupon. I am about Shannons age and use it constantly. Press a button and it takes you to a website. Thumbs up if you like, down if not. or just stumble. you program your interests and it finds like sites. I get maybe 10% of my traffic from them. It is addicting! http://www.stumbleupon.com/home   It generates lots of traffic.

                        Stan

                        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" wrote:

                        > Hi Guys!
                        > My offer of a separate forum board on ToolFools Talk
                        > and just starting Wiki still stands.
                        > The forum has the twitter, facebook and Google1 plug ins already. I
                        > might be able to do the same for the wiki. It is already set up. I am
                        > not a pro web designer, and have a few problems with upload size that
                        > can be worked out. This project is on-topic for both. Of course no
                        > charge. There are a few ads that should be relevant, and will help with
                        > the hosting costs. They are not that much. It is crawled by indexing
                        > bots constantly. I had 200,000 page views first year. Getting near 1000
                        > a day and growing. I would be honored if you used my sites. If you want
                        > to start your own, or somebody elses, I will support it all I can.
                        > Good Luck and have a happy, healthy, prosperous new year!
                        >
                        > Stan Campbell
                        > ToolFools.com/forum
                        >

                        > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have always felt the same way but my son says the way twitter was
                        > used in the last election shows how everything has changed.
                        > >
                        > > Pat
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Ian Newman
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Hi All,

                          The media is not the real issue - whether you use twitter, Facebook, a yahoo group or a forum, the problem is not distribution but visibility.

                          If someone wants the information they will make the effort to find it no matter where or how it is stored or distributed.

                          There is no point in having a twitter feed (or Facebook presence, yahoo group, etc) if people do not know it exists.

                          The focus should be in raising awareness (although I admit that diversifying the information media is of enormous value).

                          Pat observed recently that despite a large number of hits on the Make site there were no follow up responses - this suggested that the site is not giving access to an audience interested in the project (curious, but not really interested).

                          Instead of blasting out information in all directions in the hopes that maybe the right people will see it, it would be more beneficial to identify the people you want "on side" and target selectively.

                          So I pose the question - exactly who are the people who the group/project are trying to contact?

                          It is my belief that until the answers to this question are resolved large amounts of effort, time and energy will be dissipated it ineffective promotion of the ideas and concepts and as a result the multimachine will remain a lovely idea without a real application - a solution looking for a problem.

                          All the best,
                          Ian.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                            Thanks Ian

                            My goal is to focus on a group of the most influential people/groups in international economic development since"shotgun" efforts to Make and E4C have not been as effective as I had hoped.

                            Anyone want to help with the list?

                            Pat

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                              On 01/01/2013 01:30 PM, Pat Delany wrote:
                              I know Facebook is important but you guys don't know how bad my health is. A few weeks ago my energy level was falling so fast that my wife and I (independently) thought I was about to die.
                              No big deal, my only thoughts were about keeping the project and Jeremmy going.

                              Bull ...er... loney!  [This is a Family friendly group, isn't it?]  You dieing WOULD be a big deal, it would cripple this project.  Don't you DARE!  :^D (in my best bossy voice...)

                              Seriously, you are the glue that holds the whole thing together, don't discount your value, it is pretty high.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                                Stan, can I start adding information to the Wiki? I suspect that if I just start dumping in links to conversations I've bookmarked on the MM list, and other relevant information, we can get the ball rolling.  If Pat wants to try the Twitter thing, he can use it as a source of concrete information to Tweet about, and if the Twitter idea falls through, the Wiki would exist and have intrinsic value of its own...
                              • Stan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                                  Pierre,
                                    I'll set you up this evening when I get off work. I'll send you a user name and password from the forum and you can change it from there.

                                  Stan
                                  toolfools.com/forum

                                • sdewolfe@cricketlady.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                                    OK, Pat,

                                    Here is your first link:

                                    http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/index.html

                                    That is a research reference page sponsored by the Chinese University of
                                    Hong Kong. Within that table of contents you will find the Reference
                                    Shelf. Highly recommended.

                                    http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Ref.html

                                    knock that down to 140 characters. ;-)

                                    Regards,

                                    Shannon at work
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                                      Brilliant!
                                      How better to start with the why of almost everything!

                                      How did you find this jewel?

                                      Pat

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                                        A service call came into the shop this morning -- "STAT!" That started a
                                        conversation about just exactly what is "STAT" short for?

                                        I think most everyone knows that in medical parlance, "STAT" means
                                        "immediately". It is not an acronym. It is actually a shortened form of
                                        the Latin word "statim". I know that now because I searched "medical
                                        term stat" which lead me to the information and the source of the
                                        information. I thought that reference library was pretty cool and passed
                                        it along to you.

                                        Did you tweet it? I am about to sign-up on twitter. I didn't think I
                                        would ever do that.

                                        Mr. Shannon DeWolfe

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                                          I want to wait a few days so I can build up a list. Going to start with checking out some of our best links.

                                          Besides, need to feel a little better before I start anything. Brain is not working well.

                                          Pat