Was: Who Has The Multimachine in Africa? Now: Wells in Africa

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 22, 2012
      I followed the link to wellspringafrica.org in a post by Larry Bentley.
      (Thank you, Larry!)

      I have wondered why attempts to help poor people consist of volunteers
      descending on a village to build a latrine, a school, a well, or
      fill-in-the-blank, pat themselves on the back and say, "good-bye
      village". I know that many people are committed to making things better
      for others. Some have made it their life's work. I recognize and
      appreciate their dedication. But, virtually every report I've read shows
      that precious little research is done into the dynamics of the local
      social structure. Few organizations (and even fewer politicians) think
      about what is going to happen after the volunteers leave or the
      government officials return to the capitol. Where is the consideration
      for the realities of life and unintended consequences? I direct your
      attention to this PDF document:

      http://www.consallen.com/handpumps/One_well_is_no_use.pdf

      Pay particular attention to the story of the well in Uganda. Profit is a
      strong incentive.

      Mr. Shannon DeWolfe
      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 22, 2012
        On 12/22/2012 12:13 PM, Pat Delany wrote:
        Keeping in mind they did have have steel casings in 1000 BC what did they do?

        Copper, brass and bronzes were common at that time.

        Hard copper runs Rockwell F of 87, and strengths of 48 KSI.

        High strength aluminum bronzes run Brinell hardness of 190 and tensile strengths of 95 KSI.  However, aluminum was rare and more valuable than gold.

        In comparison, steel (1018 CRS) runs Rockwell B of 71 and and tensile strengths of 68 KSI.  To get similar properties, one would need tool steels!  O1 tool steel runs Rockwell C 55-65.  O1 tensile strengths are not well documented, but should be in the >80KSI range, IIRC.  Due to hardening and tempering differences, different tempers of O1 will have VERY different properties.

        "Naval bronze" tend to be pretty corrosion resistant, run Rockwell B hardness of 75 and 45 KSI tensile strengths.  "Gun metal bronzes" have no aluminum (aluminum was a rarity in that era) and run Brinell hardness of 74 and 45 KSI tensile strengths.

        For comparison, gray cast iron runs 25-40 KSI tensile strength and BNH of 140-280 (roughly.)  It is harder, but weaker.

        As to pipes, the Romans used LEAD or lead alloys!  It is easy to work and they didn't know about lead poisoning.  Not recommended today!  Copper is an option, of course, and work hardened copper is pretty good.

        Does that help to confuse things?

        "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
        Niccolo Machiavelli

        NOTE TO ALL:

        When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

        THANK YOU!
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 23, 2012
          Shannon
          I could not agree more. The only way projects work over the long run is if someone has a financial stake in it. The MM changed from a hobby project to a "real" project when several missionaries suggested using the machine as a way to give added income to water pump repair people.

          Pat

          I followed the link to wellspringafrica.org in a post by Larry Bentley.
          (Thank you, Larry!)

          I have wondered why attempts to help poor people consist of volunteers
          descending on a village to build a latrine, a school, a well, or
          fill-in-the-blank, pat themselves on the back and say, "good-bye
          village". I know that many people are committed to making things better
          for others. Some have made it their life's work. I recognize and
          appreciate their dedication. But, virtually every report I've read shows
          that precious little research is done into the dynamics of the local
          social structure. Few organizations (and even fewer politicians) think
          about what is going to happen after the volunteers leave or the
          government officials return to the capitol. Where is the consideration
          for the realities of life and unintended consequences? I direct your
          attention to this PDF document:

          http://www.consallen.com/handpumps/One_well_is_no_use.pdf

          Pay particular attention to the story of the well in Uganda. Profit is a
          strong incentive.

          Mr. Shannon DeWolfe
          --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

          On 12/21/2012 6:38 PM, Larry Bentley wrote:

          > Howard is right the cable tool machine can drill just about anything
          > and the EMAS videos on youtube and Vimeo show very basic low tech ways
          > of using homemade tooling to drill water wells.

          ------------------------------------

          -------------
          We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

          Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)