Re: [multimachine] shannon

  • Jason Jystad
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
      Nice one Shannon! I am going to have to read over that, it looks like a decent starting point so the other stuff makes more sense.

      My former roommate left his Grizzly machine lathe behind, temporarily - he has limited room in his new shop, and I keep looking at it and thinking I should be using it since I finally have access to a metal lathe whenever I want.

      Of course, given how little I know of how to operate one, I would likely just get myself caught in it and make a spectacle of myself -, which is not the point at all. :)

      I have been meaning to try to work through some of the more basic stuff from tubalcain too.

      Jason

      On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Shannon DeWolfe <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

      Pat,

      Maybe you were thinking of this link that David provided:

      http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm

      My little shop still leaks.

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
        Great book but not the one i am looking for.

        Thanks

        Maybe you were thinking of this link that David provided:

        http://www.americanmachinetools.com/how_to_use_a_lathe.htm

        My little shop still leaks.

        --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 56 year old fat man.

        On 12/10/2012 7:22 PM, Pat Delany wrote:
        > Maybe it was someone else. It had a lot of general shop stuff like
        > chisel edge shapes, What set the book apart was the quality of the
        > drawings. I will feel like a fool when I find the name again.
        >
        > How are you doing? Did you ever get some kind of an enclosed shop? I
        > think my shop days are over even if my new doctors really help.
        >
        > Pat

      • David R Forrest
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
          Perhaps "Farm Shop Practice" by Mack Jones, 1939?

          http://www.basiccarpentrytechniques.com/Farm%20Shop%20Practice/1A%20Farm%20Shop%20Practice%20Farm%20Woodwork%20&%20Carpentry.htm

          Dave

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
            Great series for Jeremmy! Still not what I was looking for though.

            Maybe Dave will know.

            Pat

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
              On 12/11/2012 09:29 PM, Jason Jystad wrote:

              Of course, given how little I know of how to operate one, I would likely just get myself caught in it and make a spectacle of myself -, which is not the point at all. :)

              I have been meaning to try to work through some of the more basic stuff from tubalcain too.

              Jason

              Jason,

              Free advise, until you know how to safely run a lathe, don't.  Learn the ins and outs of safely running a lathe (like absolutely NO long sleeved shirts or sweaters), then learn how to set it up and use it.  Until you know about the safety side, you are asking to be hurt or die.

              Perhaps your former roommate can give you the "boring 5 minute safety lecture" so you don't damage his lathe.

              "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
              Niccolo Machiavelli

              NOTE TO ALL:

              When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

              THANK YOU!
            • Jason Jystad
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
                Dave,

                Thanks for the advice, it is sound advice that I wished more people listened to in general in the shop. The stupid crap I have seen...

                My former roommate has given me the required "boring 5 minute safety lecture" and is amused that I am still not willing to touch it until I learn a bit more. :)

                I have a fair amount of experience with metal working by hand, mostly silver and copper work in the jewelry studio and steel work in a gas hand forge. (Hammers! We loves them! Clang!) And variations on gas welding in both contexts. I do need to get off my hiney and pick up some basic arc welding skills too.

                That lathe is an imposing bastard and while I am confident at this point that I could operate it without having EMT personnel nearby, I am less confident of my ability to know what to avoid doing to keep from damaging the equipment. I want a better grasp of materials, lubrication, and feed/cutting rates.

                I am planning on working through several different basic sources and going over the results with my roommate to make sure I get it before I embark on using the lathe. Thus my interest in the materials just posted. Then I will go machine a bunch of simple shapes as practice first. I am currently interested in being able to machine custom fittings for some walking canes I have in mind and some other similar items.

                Besides, I have to finish rebuilding my bandsaw first. It has been all disassembled for a couple of months waiting for me to find time to get back to it. *sigh* so little time.

                Thanks for the concern, and the good neighbor advice.
                Jason

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                  VERY WELL SAID!!!!!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                    On 12/11/2012 11:49 PM, Jason Jystad wrote:

                    Dave,

                    Thanks for the advice, it is sound advice that I wished more people listened to in general in the shop. The stupid crap I have seen...

                    You are entirely welcome, that was the boring 10 second safety lecture. :^D Most people either fit the "Oh, s**t, that can happen?" or the "I knows what I is doin', Hey, Bubba, watch this!" You appear to be in the former group.

                    My former roommate has given me the required "boring 5 minute safety lecture" and is amused that I am still not willing to touch it until I learn a bit more. :)

                    Then he did the right thing.  After you get over the idea that it is dangerous, DO NOT be less vigilant, don't machine while under the influence or too tired.  Simply remember that driving is dangerous, people get killed regularly, but it is much less dangerous than DUI or DWS (Driving While Stupid/Stoned.)  You seem to have the proper mind set, however, know what you are doing and always assume that you will be at risk if you don't.  A man who knows the dead soft aluminum chips from 0.005" cut are not very dangerous STILL will not grab a handful to get them out of the way so he NEVER does it with those blue, tool steel chips.