Re: Jeremmy in Kenya has a problem

  • myford100
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 2, 2012
      It's going to depend on the land. In the southwest corner of Missouri, USA, you'll see very large smooth rollers probably made from oil pipe or something, often filled with water after they get to the field. When I asked, a farmer explained that the rocks in the (not very exciting) soil came to the top and every few years they'd use the rollers to push them back down. They'd do this in the fall and the freezing and thawing over the winter would loosen the soil again.

      This works for pastures or hay crops that are harvested multiple times over for a few years before replanting. Perhaps obviously, it wouldn't be as useful for row crops such as corn or soybeans that have to be replanted every year.

      Given that compaction isn't good for the roots of growing things, it may be that smoothing down the surface is all that's wanted in his application.

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 15, 2013
        Had not heard from Jeremmy in a few days, turns out that his malaria kicked in again and he was back in hospital. He was able to borrow a visitor's laptop to let me know.

        When he gets out, I'm going to wire him $30 to buy aluminum scrap. He has been trying to collect aluminum for months but has only come up with a stack of clutch disks from a tractor. Can't imagine what kind of an alloy it would be.

        Pat