Re: [multimachine] Re: Jeremmy in Kenya has a problem

  • Adam Simmons
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 2, 2012

      It probably got skipped over, but my first question was the purpose of this drum. I didn't want to waste everybody's time with the below if it wasn't applicable, but seems like it is.

      If you're looking for compaction, a smooth drum isn't the way to go.  You're better of "rolling" - the practice of using your tractor's tires to compact, no drum needed, but an extra ton or two of weight might cut down on multiple passes.  Just roll back and forth over the compaction area, shifting over 1/2 a tread each pass.

      Force compacts - not weight.  Smooth drums are rarely used outside of asphalt, normal practice is to compact and then cut the dirt to grade.  Vibrator compactors are the tools of choice - which have a hydraulic counterweight inside the drum.  Imagine a 1 ton version of the vibrator in your cel phone, and you've got the idea.

      - Adam

      On Dec 2, 2012 10:04 AM, "Pat" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      Brilliant Idea! And a good lesson that Jeremmy's drum may not be enough weight which correlates with my plowing experience.

      Pat

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 15 8:27 PM
        Had not heard from Jeremmy in a few days, turns out that his malaria kicked in again and he was back in hospital. He was able to borrow a visitor's laptop to let me know.

        When he gets out, I'm going to wire him $30 to buy aluminum scrap. He has been trying to collect aluminum for months but has only come up with a stack of clutch disks from a tractor. Can't imagine what kind of an alloy it would be.

        Pat