Jeremmy in Kenya has a problem

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 30, 2012
      can you guys help with this?

      Hi Gents

      I have to build a roller to be towed behind a tractor. The roller is based on the 200 liter drum (is that 50 gallons Stateside?) and I cant quite work out how to make it 'mud-proof'

      Basically, the drum is to be filled with a mixture of dirt and water so as to have variable weights (by removing water in very difficult sections) Possibly a 3 inch pipe to go through the center of the drum (as the axle) then we try and re-weld closed the 2 holes (top and bottom) we had cut open for the axle to prevent the mud-slurry mix from leaking out?

      Next problem. The actual axle assembly. we can't use "U" bolts (as we're doing for the manual roller) to connect the 'yoke' assembly to the drum, but need something strong enough to make this roller workable and not a death trap if it goes "rogue" (the image of bowling pins and the gang & I running for our lives......Smack!)

      Ideas?

      Best Regards

      Jeremmy
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 15, 2013
        Had not heard from Jeremmy in a few days, turns out that his malaria kicked in again and he was back in hospital. He was able to borrow a visitor's laptop to let me know.

        When he gets out, I'm going to wire him $30 to buy aluminum scrap. He has been trying to collect aluminum for months but has only come up with a stack of clutch disks from a tractor. Can't imagine what kind of an alloy it would be.

        Pat