big spindle

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
      I added a sketch under Jeff's sketches called big_spindle. It
      could provide a step in the bootstrap process of building more
      accurate machines. My first project would be to replace the
      outer maple rings with brass or aluminum to reduce the wear
      rate of the bushings. Adjustment is simple just tighten up the
      allthread until it runs smooth enough to do the work at hand.
      This is a lot higher maintenance than taper roller bearings but
      if you leave it loose it will run for a long time. A simular
      concept could also be used to support the line shaft through
      the building.
      Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
        I think that this is a great idea! Even if piston metal and iron had
        to be substituted for hard wood this would be great way to stop
        chattering with a pipe spindle. The possibility of large hollow
        spindle caused chattering has always bothered me because of the
        clearance needed for thermal expansion. I had planned to cut the
        clearance and use a slower turning power steering oil pump for
        pressure lube.

        Pat
        -- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jhan5en@y...> wrote:

        > I added a sketch under Jeff's sketches called big_spindle. It
        > could provide a step in the bootstrap process of building more
        > accurate machines. My first project would be to replace the
        > outer maple rings with brass or aluminum to reduce the wear
        > rate of the bushings. Adjustment is simple just tighten up the
        > allthread until it runs smooth enough to do the work at hand.
        > This is a lot higher maintenance than taper roller bearings but
        > if you leave it loose it will run for a long time. A simular
        > concept could also be used to support the line shaft through
        > the building.
        > Jeff

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
          The wood is desirable if it is available because it can be
          permanently lubed with bees wax and it is compressable so it
          can run with positive interference for chatter free turning.
          The question is can you turn it true enough to get the spindle
          runout to an acceptable level. I bought my son an old Craftsman
          wood lathe a month ago and we are getting some tools for it.
          I will try to find some time and make a spindle like this.
          Pat what size bore does your volvo have?
          Jeff

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
            Jeff
            Thanks for the offer to make one, I just don't have
            time to work with it. I seem to be sick most of the
            time and have fallen behind on everything. My wife is
            going to kill me if I don't work on the movie and also
            don't finish the temp lathe and crossfeed that I have
            spread all over the garage floor.

            About the "jungle drill" pic. I drew it in paint and
            saved it as a jpg. It reads fine in 3 different
            windows machines but my son can't read it in his Linux
            box. I don't know what to do.

            Thanks
            Pat