Re: [multimachine] Re: V-8 Multimachine based on three identical 90 degree V-8 blocks and an in-line 6

  • Adam Simmons
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 31, 2012

      From a very small sample, block filler is just expensive non shrink grout.  It's a poor way to add strength to an engine that you want to run.

      On Oct 31, 2012 9:15 PM, "louis richardson" <louisrfnauto@...> wrote:

      on raising and lowering a 1000#, you can use a sissor jack out of a car or truck , i have one from a 1 ton truck ,it big and stout and has 2:1 gear reduction so its easy to turn and real slow, it will raise and lower 1000# all day no prob.also farmers and ranchers have long used old rear axle differentials for gear reduction ,you could use one along with the ACME screw that some office chairs have in them for raising and lowering things.As to damping material LEAD is not  to be considered, its way too soft and will shrink, it would require constant preasure inside pipe to be useable. the racers here in the USA  use block filler to stiffen up the blocks and add strength. it costs 15$ a gallon.but its made for use inside castings.concrete has been used by Taig lathes here in the USA in their machines, no one reports any problems at all. if concrete is to be used i think it would be good to remove any rocks  larger than say 1/2".

      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 2, 2012
        On 11/01/2012 05:26 PM, curtasian wrote:
        Thank you! This is all food for thought and it points me in a direction to start looking.

        It is all part of being a "guru" even though I don't even play one on TV.  You are welcome.

        "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
        Niccolo Machiavelli

        NOTE TO ALL:

        When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

        THANK YOU!