Re: [multimachine] a small milling attachment for the lathe

  • Chris Tofu
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 4, 2012

      From: Pierre Coueffin <pcoueffin@...>

      I don't like the way that the chuck is fastened to a cheap drill press for milling.  You really want a through-hole in the spindle and a draw-bar.  Side thrust will dislodge a Jacob's Taper in short order, and a flying endmill is no fun at all.
      C: Apparently for ultra lite milling, it can be done. I know a number of people who have successfully milled w/a drill press. But no not for heavy milling. Rudy Kouhoupt has a video on youtube on this subject (he's dead, but not on account of this unorthodox approaches).
    • Chris Tofu
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2012
        if you use a round column, you need to stop the head from rotating.

        From: David G. LeVine <dlevine@...>

        I think a Woodruff key in the pulley eliminates the need for a full length key in the shaft.

        But why would you need it at all.  Look at the cheap Chinese mills, the whole head moves, there is NO quill at all.

        Dave  8{)
      • Ian Newman
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2012
          Hi,

          There is another issue - the drill bearings.  A drill is not designed for side trust and you will kill the bearings pretty quickly unless you first replace them with races of a more suitable design.

          All the best,
          Ian

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2012
            On 10/04/2012 01:19 PM, Chris Tofu wrote:
            if you use a round column, you need to stop the head from rotating.

            If you use a square column, it is not an issue.  Square ERW tubing in something like 3" square with a 1/4" wall filled with E/G with a hollow in the middle will be strong and dead, the E/G will damp out steel vibrations.  The lift mechanism can go into the hollow, protecting it and giving force in the center.  Either a gib setup or rolling bearings on eccentrics can locate the head.

            "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
            Niccolo Machiavelli

            NOTE TO ALL:

            When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

            THANK YOU!
          • Arthur Nascimento

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 5, 2012
                Hi Guys
                 The question is ,Can ball bearings be used for a milling machine spindle?

                From: Chris Tofu <rampaginggreenhulk@...>
                To: "multimachine@yahoogroups.com" <multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thursday, 4 October, 2012, 18:13

                From: Pierre Coueffin <pcoueffin@...>

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 5, 2012
                  ball or roller bearings of proper rating are used on all milling machines, saving the older kind that use bronze or steel bearings. The issue is to use the proper bearing though. As pointed out drill press bearings are not suitable but for the most lite milling jobs. The biggest problem with producing an accurate bore in a piece of steel, iron, aluminum, etc. is producing an accurate bore in the piece of steel, iron, aluminum, etc. You're working w/.0001"s here ("tenths"). You need a machine w/a great deal of accuracy, and an operator with an eye for accuracy. Or possibly bore oversize and use some sort of polishing operation to bring the bore into tolerance.
                   Other methods can be explored, like casting an aluminum head around a steel shaft. Iffy. But there are bound to be other ways of pulling it off (and in the case of a solid steel core, it would take a good deal of force to pull it off, sorry for the pun :p)

                  From: keith gutshall <drpshops@...>

                  Hi Guys
                   The question is ,Can ball bearings be used for a milling machine spindle?

                   Keith
                • oldstudentmsgt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 5, 2012
                    The answer is "Yes, but they probably won't last very long."

                    Especially if you do a lot of heavy milling. If it's a 'once in a while thing' and you don't take deep cuts, you can do it with the stock bearings.

                    Goggling "Popular Mechanics drill press mill" at http://books.google.com/books will give you a number of articles on folks who did so successfully.

                    I'm in the middle of repairing my old Craftsman drill press, and am seriously considering upgrading the bearing to at least angular-contact types, as are used in upgrading the bearings of mini-lathes. Don't hold your breath waiting, I'm afraid. It keeps getting pushed to the back of the burner for IRL problems. Mama and the kids seem to want me to to keep working for $$ so I can feed them and the pets, among other things. ;)

                    Bill in OKC

                    --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys
                    >  The question is ,Can ball bearings be used for a milling machine spindle?
                    >
                    >  Keith
                    >
                    > Deep Run Portage
                    > Back Shop
                    > " The Lizard Works"
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                    SNIP!
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 5, 2012
                      On 10/05/2012 02:10 PM, keith gutshall wrote:

                      Hi Guys
                       The question is ,Can ball bearings be used for a milling machine spindle?

                       Keith

                      Yes, but...

                      Some ball bearings (like the 7000 series) are angular contact bearings and will work, but look at the cost vs. electric motor bearings and you will see why they are not used.

                      "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
                      Niccolo Machiavelli

                      NOTE TO ALL:

                      When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

                      THANK YOU!
                    • Bruce Bellows
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 8, 2012
                        Keith
                        Yes ball bearings can be used when they are angular contact type. Also single bearing units are not to be used where only a radial load is present as they are designed to need a thrust load and when there is a 2 directional thrust load a duplex arrangement is required.
                        Even though an angular contact bearing will be higher in cost than the same size deep groove ball bearing the biggest factor that determines price is the precision class that is chosen. An ABEC 5 or 7 bearing can be 10 times more expensive than an ABEC 1 precision class.

                        Bruce