Re: 8 inch hole in contrete

  • oldhermit
    Message 1 of 16 , May 7, 2012
      Jack,
      I'd was having problems with my septic tank and didn't want to dig up the trap door every time I wanted to check the level of sludge inside. To gain a peep hole, I cast a new lid for the trap door with a 4 inch threaded plastic fitting and plug in the middle. This eliminated the need to cut a new hole.
      Harold
      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, jacques <jacquessavard@...> wrote:

      > normaly the cover is easy to remove
      > but here the cover is deep about 4 feeth
      >
      > we need some rapid ans easy solution to do the job
      >
      > it is about 3 feeth wide and 4 inch stick on the side but probaly only 2
      > inch to cut at center
      >
      > only have to make a clean job not only a cut
      >
      > thank to all
      >
      > i probaly try the sand and tube solution
      >
      > jack 47'n 71'W
      >

      > > Jacques,
      > > I've had experience with two types of septic tank. The first was an old
      > > one made of brick. I believe it is accessed by removing a concrete slab
      > > that that lies across the top. If yours is like this and you are just
      > > trying to make a more convenient way to clean it out you might be able to
      > > remove the slab then saw from both sides and meet in the middle.
      > > The other kind is pre-cast and delivered to the site by a truck with a
      > > hoist. If you have one like that it should have access doors in the top
      > > already. Have you uncovered the entire top of the tank to look for them?
      > >
      > > To make more helpful suggestions we need to know:
      > >
      > > 1. Whether your tank was hand made or pre-cast
      > > 2. Whether you have access to the bottom side of the hole you want to cut
      > > 3. What concrete cutting tools you have or can get
      > > 4. How you access the inside of the tank now. It's difficult to believe
      > > that the tank has no door, especially in a place that requires they be
      > > pumped every four years.
      > > Harold
      > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "oldhermit" <orwhut@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> What type of concrete cutting tools do you have on hand?
      > >> Harold

      > > Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool
      > > construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.
      > > -------------Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Adam Simmons
      Message 2 of 16 , May 7, 2012
        the sand/tube solution looks like a huge waste of time.  if you need a clean hole, blow out a section, get some sonotube and grout it in place.

      • Gordon Haag
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7, 2012
          Like Howard said: How hard would it be to cast a new lid?

          Gordon