Spindle Size

  • drpshops@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2012
      Hello Group
      Does anybody have a size for the spindle shaft?
      I do not remember seeing it in the instructions.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2012
        Keith,
        I need to add to this point (one more job!). I think 1.5" is the minimum, 2.5" od heavy wall pipe would be best for most machines.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2012
          On 05/02/2012 04:07 PM, drpshops@... wrote:
          Hello Group
          Does anybody have a size for the spindle shaft?
           I do not remember seeing it in the instructions.

           Keith

          Since bearings vary, the spindle will vary, BUT, for 2MT you will want 25 mm or 1" stock (as a minimum), with a 5/8" center hole.  Of course, making the spindle with some 3" pipe and BIG bearings is a pretty good way to get a big through hole.

          On the Jet JML1014, the spindle has a 1"-8 nose, a 2MT taper in the center and only a 3/8" through hole.  Actually, I believe it is a bit bigger, but it appears to be under 1/2".  And that is for a wood lathe!

          The common 7x lathes have a spindle with a 20 mm bore (just over 3/4") and a minimum OD of 28 mm (just under 1 1/8"), and is mostly 30 mm OD (about 1 3/16"), and that is not a lot of "meat".

          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
          (quoted from http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30060)

          NOTE TO ALL:

          When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

          THANK YOU!
        • delany_pat
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2012
            Thanks Dave

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2012
              Hi David
               I was thinking of the concrete lathe,and how stuff of a standard size would work.
              Let's say you are useing a 1.500 shaft, you can get bronze bushings that size  shaft.

              Wouldn't the hole through the shaft be controled by the small end of a Morse taper?
               A #2 MT is 0.572 on the small end  and 0.700 on the big end.

              If you use a pipe spindle with a thin wall ( like Sch# 40) there is no way to put a center part in it.
               You do have a spindle with a hole the size of the ID of the pipe.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                That is why spindle tapers are often MT 4 or 5. Another thing is that the spindle taper does not have to be as long as the MT tool.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                  Hi guy's  If the pipe spindle is fitted with a fixed flange, rather than a thread, a similar flange could be bolted to it,fitted with say an ER50 collet chuck, or a Morse taper housing, or a large faceplate, or whatever needed at the time.
                  Regards  jb

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2012
                    Sounds good to me!

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2012
                      On 05/03/2012 04:51 PM, keith gutshall wrote:
                      Hi David
                       I was thinking of the concrete lathe,and how stuff of a standard size would work.
                      Let's say you are useing a 1.500 shaft, you can get bronze bushings that size  shaft.

                      Wouldn't the hole through the shaft be controled by the small end of a Morse taper?
                       A #2 MT is 0.572 on the small end  and 0.700 on the big end.

                      Not exactly, the small end of a Morse taper can be unsupported, what you need is the small end to not bottom on a step (which would mean the taper would not lock in place.)

                      If you use a pipe spindle with a thin wall ( like Sch# 40) there is no way to put a center part in it.
                       You do have a spindle with a hole the size of the ID of the pipe.

                      Again, not exactly.  Look at a solid Morse taper socket, they come in LOTS of different sizes, from 1" OD to 3 1/2" OD and up to #6MT.  These can be made to be a light press fit and secured by a split collar, which makes for a very solid mount.  Remove the split collar and use a solid bar to knock it out and you have the big through bore again.

                      Another trick is to use a CAT type collet to hold one.  A dimple drawbar will lock it into the pipe and makes a VERY secure center.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2012
                        On 05/03/2012 06:08 PM, john baird wrote:
                        Hi guy's  If the pipe spindle is fitted with a fixed flange, rather than a thread, a similar flange could be bolted to it,fitted with say an ER50 collet chuck, or a Morse taper housing, or a large faceplate, or whatever needed at the time.
                        Regards  jb

                        Exactly correct, and, if the flange is permanently attached, the flange can be machined in place by the lathe so the TIR is very small.