Re: [multimachine] Re: round ways lathe

  • Ian Newman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2012
      Hi Shannon,

      If there are "angular forces" these can be resolved into a vertical component and a horizontal component which is what Keith is referring to - consider the forces involved in facing a piece of material.

      Ian.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
        I agree with you , and we must consider that a cylinder and a angle iron profile have in contact something like a line.
        And if not well in touch, they have some points in contact .In his situationwe can't have a so stable machining environment..

        Personally I think that this support must be from some CRS square profile and in plus , it must be bolted some how to the round ways.

        It is an other thing machine alignment, and an other think is machine stiffness.
        Maybe angle iron is OK for a wood working machine tool, but I do not think that it is the same situation in metal working.
        Costas

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
          On 01/09/2012 07:37 AM, costasv wrote:
          An other problem rises too if we are speaking about round ways supports.
          It is sure that tese supports canot be angle iron, but some kind of machining must be made.
          And then ,we must decide how to fix these round ways to the supparts.Ofcourse I'm rejecting the idea of varius CNC round ways supported bearings,since these supports are made from Aluminium and so they are not stiff.
          Costas

          Costas,

          Consider that the way supports do not need to be very stiff to work well.  They are only taking small loads (compared to the ways) so the ways stay straight.

          Actually, the supports can easily be Cold Rolled Steel (+0/-0.006" - that is +0/-0.152 mm) with an epoxy grout.  The grout takes up the slop so vibration is less of a problem.  This is with NO machining, just straight from the mill stock.

          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
          (quoted from http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30060)

          NOTE TO ALL:

          When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

          THANK YOU!
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
            On 01/09/2012 09:43 AM, keith gutshall wrote:
            HI Shannon
            The supports under the ways will work for the vertical forces in the machine.
             I think he is asking about the horizontal forces on thr ways?
             DId you think about them in your design?

             Keith

            Actually, the horizontal forces are an order of magnitude or even less than the vertical forces, especially with a heavy carriage.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
              Hi,

              It is worth looking at a conventional cast lathe bed.  In particular, look at the amount of diagonal cross bracing cast in to fix the relationship between the two bed ways.

              Ian