precision indicator

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 315 KB
    We talked about a precision indicator once before. Pat decided that the
    odds of someone starting up a rural shop having a 1-72 screw were zero.
    I agree, unless the man has a very old and dead watch -- then he would
    have some small screws to add to his collection of stuff. Regardless, I
    have been looking from time to time for another accurate lever style
    indicator. These were very popular prior to 1900 because they could be
    made in the shop. I saw several in various articles. Unfortunately the
    devil is in the details. Some of those lever indicators were very
    complicated. Some used gears and some used several levers to multiply
    motion. This one if from the February 1948 Popular Science magazine. It
    looks simple enough to make. It has a total sweep of .015 inch. It is
    shown graduated in .001 increments. I believe that if you made the lever
    an inch or two longer, it could be marked in .0005 increments. See attached.

    --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 55 year old fat man.