Re: From the new "how to build"

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
      More about Tyler at http://flowxrg.com/

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Shannon DeWolfe <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

      > Here you go, Lance:
      >
      > http://vimeo.com/27155598
      >
      > Regards,
      >

      > --
      > Mr. Shannon DeWolfe -- I've taken to using mister because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 54 year old fat man. ;-)
      >

      > Lance Eggleston wrote:
      > >

      > > I have seen his named referred to <Tyler>,
      > > where can I find his drawings? or his work ?
      > >
      > > TIA
      > > lance
      > > ++++

    • zaphod
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

        > Nothing to it! (after a year of working on the problem). The best thing to is to buy a Grizzly $62 machine level that can be used on the ways, the spindle, the frame for the carriage, the concrete top of the carriage and several times on the cross slide. If this is too expensive (and it will be to the people who really need the machine) , I have a way of making the ways level and in the same plane using just a straight edge, a piece of wood, some stiff wire and a rock. Early drawings are in the photo folderÂ

        This thing?

        > 02 lathe ways level detector
        http://www.grizzly.com/products/Master-Machinist-s-Level-8-x-0005-Per-10-/H2682

        I'm starting to see how it might be of use but if you could explain further that would be cool.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
          Use a spacer to set the distance between the ways.
          Use the level to make each way level.
          Use the level on a straight edge across the ways to get the ways the same height.
          You will probably have to re-do things multiple times to get everything right but that's what the adjustment screws on the ways are for.
          Grout in the ways.
          Build the carriage frame, do not mar the top of the welded on bars, and use the level to check at every step (have your wife hide all your hammers).
          Mount the carriage frame on the ways, slide back and forth and check the wearstrip fits with a feeler gauge.
          When perfect, install the spindle, level it and then mount a dial test indicator on the carriage and make the ways and spindle parallel.
          Pour the concrete for the carriage and check again.
          Level the top of the carriage concrete.
          Bolt and grout in the base of the cross slide after leveling it.

          This is why $62 is such a bargain!

          Pat