Welder, was Re: Jenn / tool plans

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
      Somewhere I saw car alternator based welders. I wonder if two
      alternators could be connected to make a better one.

      Pat

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@y...> wrote:

      > Welding is vital to the tool plans what we plan to
      > post next week. A strange thing is that these plans
      > are at least 20 years old, were designed for Africa by
      > experts and most require welding. I wonder if there
      > are plans for a welder that can be home built, weld
      > short beads on 3/8" plate and be run by an engine?
      >
      > Pat
      >
      > --- wombat4622603 <davidwi@n...> wrote:
      >
      > > ...I
      > > > came across a 1960's complete set of Mechanics
      > > Illustrated.
      > > > In it are plans for a do it yourself arc welder/
      > > spot welder. The
      > > spot
      > > > welder hand gun. Metal benders, I will have to
      > > check for metal shears.
      > > > All of these are simple to build scrounging from
      > > scrap supplies or
      > > > salvaging junk piles. I even found transformer
      > > cores, 3kw to 15 kw from
      > > > transformer sales shops with used tradeins or old
      > > scrapped ones. I made
      > > > a 200 amp constant voltage DC 100% duty cycle MIG
      > > welder
      > > > winding the core myself and using a car windshield
      > > wiper motor with a
      > > > SCR drive circuit I made myself. I cut the rollers
      > > myself and
      > > > scrounged gears from old dot matrix printers I
      > > scraped.
      > > >
      > > > Darwin
      > >
      > > I'm extremely impressed by the 200 amp MIG welder
      > > made from scrounged
      > > parts. I do think that arc welding is an essential
      > > technology,
      > > provided you have electricity of some sort.
      > >
      > > Here's a terrific web site that describes building a
      > > welder with
      > > microwave oven transformers (not something found in
      > > abundance in Third
      > > World countries). He also has a lot of very
      > > interesting stuff on foam
      > > patternmaking using hot wire foam cutting.
      > >
      > > David Wimberley
      > > >

      > __________________________________
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • rick
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@y...> wrote:

        > Somewhere I saw car alternator based welders. I wonder if two
        > alternators could be connected to make a better one.
        >
        > Pat

        here's a set of plans for the alt.welder
        http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Air/Air.html

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2005
          I guess what I was hoping for was a "how to build" using an alternator
          or alternators and nothing else that could not be found in a junk
          yard. I was wondering if 2 or 3 regular alternators could be hooked in
          parallel to make a heavier duty model.

          Pat

          regular--- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "rick" <rgbai42@y...> wrote:

          > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Somewhere I saw car alternator based welders. I wonder if two
          > > alternators could be connected to make a better one.
          > >
          > > Pat
          >
          > here's a set of plans for the alt.welder
          > http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Air/Air.html
          >

          > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Welding is vital to the tool plans what we plan to
          > > > post next week. A strange thing is that these plans
          > > > are at least 20 years old, were designed for Africa by
          > > > experts and most require welding. I wonder if there
          > > > are plans for a welder that can be home built, weld
          > > > short beads on 3/8" plate and be run by an engine?
          > > >
          > > > Pat

          > > > __________________________________
          > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
          > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        • wombat4622603
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2005
            > Here's a terrific web site that describes building a welder with
            > microwave oven transformers (not something found in abundance in Third
            > World countries). He also has a lot of very interesting stuff on foam
            > patternmaking using hot wire foam cutting.
            >
            > David Wimberley

            For some reason the URL did not appear in this post. It is

            http://www.dansworkshop.com/index.shtml

            Very neat stuff.

            David Wimberley
          • David Lee
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005

              You can make a credible TIG or stick welder using an automobile alternator and a 5-HP or so gasoline engine plus a few other junkyard available components.  You don't need an outside source of electricity.  It's all made from junk for short money.

              See the attached.

              David Lee

              --- wombat4622603 <davidwi@...> wrote:

              > ...I
              > > came across a
              1960's complete set of Mechanics
              > Illustrated.
              > >  In it
              are plans for a do it yourself  arc welder/
              > spot welder.
              The
              > spot
              > > welder hand gun. Metal benders, I will have
              > check for metal shears.
              > > All of these are simple to build
              scrounging from
              > scrap supplies or
              > > salvaging junk piles. I
              even found transformer
              > cores, 3kw to 15 kw from
              > > transformer
              sales shops with used tradeins or old
              > scrapped ones. I made

              a 200 amp constant voltage DC 100% duty cycle MIG
              > welder

              winding the core myself and using a car windshield
              > wiper motor with
              > > SCR drive circuit I made myself. I cut the rollers
              > myself
              and
              > > scrounged gears from old dot matrix printers I

              scraped.

              > > Darwin
              >
              > I'm extremely
              impressed by the 200 amp MIG welder
              > made from scrounged

              parts.  I do think that arc welding is an essential

              technology,
              > provided you have electricity of some sort.

              Here's a terrific web site that describes building a
              > welder with

              microwave oven transformers (not something found in
              > abundance in
              Third
              > World countries).  He also has a lot of very

              interesting stuff on foam
              > patternmaking using hot wire foam
              cutting.

              > David Wimberley

            • Bobby Yates Emory
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005

                (This is speculation rather than knowledge.) I would be concerned
                that two alternators would "fight" each other and that might lead to
                reliability problems. (Or maybe a a pair of diodes -stripped from a
                third alternator - would solve the problem.) Maybe I am worrying
                unnecessarily - the alternators do have diodes just before their
                output - maybe it is not a problem.

                Since you are counting on there being large trucks in the junkyard,
                why not get more capacity by getting a generator or alternator from
                one of them? I assume large trucks, designed to be used in the third
                world, will have large alternators.

                My uncle used to weld with a aircraft generator powered by the belt
                drive on his tractor. It was quite satisfactory, so I believe, if we
                can find a source of large enough generator or alternators, we may be
                on the way to a solution.

                I liked the idea someone had of putting a battery across the output to
                stabilize the power. Someone else had used two batteries in series to
                make a temporary welding rig (two to get the arc voltage up higher).
                Let's combine the two ideas - put two batteries in series across the
                welding cables. I would guess that the batteries do not have to be
                in good condition - we are not asking them to hold a charge - just to
                act like a gigantic capacitor.

                Alternators can put out higher voltages than 12 - so if we turn up the
                field excitation, we can get them to produce 24 volts. The batteries
                will stabilize it. (I think there are some forms of welding where
                pulsed DC is an advantage, so sometimes we may want one alternator
                with no batteries.)

                Another possibility - There is a company in TN that is selling (for
                $600+) what look like normal alternators to be used as welders. The
                welders are for farmers, etc to mount under the hood of their pickup
                trucks. If we could figure what the company is doing, we may can come
                up with a plan to modify alternators.

                Bobby

                --
                Toward freedom,

                Bobby Yates Emory
              • Bobby Yates Emory
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                  David,

                  In your second PDF, the schematic, on the left near the top there was
                  a power supply driving the alternator field. Does it get its power
                  from somewhere else in the welder?

                  Likewise, on the bottom left there is a input to drive the high
                  voltage circuit. Does it get its power from somewhere else in the
                  welder?

                  If these can, it would make using the welder much simpler.

                  Bobby

                  --
                  Toward freedom,

                  Bobby Yates Emory
                • Matt Sheik
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                    In regards to using the aircraft generator, surplus center sells surplus generators for relatively good prices.  I've been wanting to try one for a cheap welder, and run it off of a lawnmower engine.  They have a 140 amp for 100 bucks.  Might be an option.

                    Pat,

                    --
                    Toward freedom,

                    Bobby Yates Emory

                    Yahoo! Shopping
                  • Bobby Yates Emory
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Matt,

                      That might be a good option for us, but Pat wants to come up with
                      something that could be built out of a third world junkyard - probably
                      no aircraft generators there.

                      I think you may need more than the average lawn mower engine - for the
                      300 amp, they suggest 16 HP - unless you only plan to weld thin steel.

                      I assume this is the one you are lusting after:

                      http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005120923522527&item=6-987X&catname=

                      Notice the recommendation here:

                      --
                      Toward freedom,

                      Bobby Yates Emory
                    • Matt Sheik
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 10, 2005
                        I understand very few third world countries would have generators, but someone mentioned using one.  So I thought I would throw that out there.  And the 140 amp one only requires 6 or 7 horse, not hard to find at all.  And if you can't weld it with 140 amps DC, well your in trouble anyways.

                        --
                        Toward freedom,

                        Bobby Yates Emory

                        Yahoo! Shopping
                      • David Lee
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 24, 2005
                          Hi Bob,

                          Below.

                          Due to occupational commitment (I have a job now), I'll not be seeing group posts here very often.  Please send any additional questions to my group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/junkyard_projects/).  That will be the only forum I'll have time to monitor on a daily basis - until I get fired anyway.

                          Regards,
                          David

                          In your second PDF, the schematic, on the left near the top there was
                          a power supply driving the alternator field.  Does it get its power
                          from somewhere else in the welder?

                          That can be just a PC power supply with a rheostat on the output.  The input can come from the input side of T01

                          Likewise, on the bottom left there is a input to drive the high
                          voltage circuit.  Does it get its power from somewhere else in the
                          welder?

                          No, it's 120VAC from a standard duplex outlet.  It's intended for the home craftsman.  20aAC in = 70aDC out.  That should be adequate for 1/4" thick mild steel with TIG.

                          If these can, it would make using the welder much simpler.

                          Bobby

                          On 12/9/05, David Lee <dsleeI@...> wrote:

                          > Pat,
                          >
                          > You can make a credible TIG or stick
                          welder using an automobile alternator
                          > and a 5-HP or so gasoline engine
                          plus a few other junkyard available
                          > components.  You don't need an
                          outside source of electricity.  It's all made
                          > from junk for short
                          money.

                          ________________________________

                          > are at least 20 years old, were designed for Africa
                          by
                          > experts and most require welding. I wonder if there
                          > are plans
                          for a welder that can be home built, weld
                          > short beads on 3/8" plate and
                          be run by an engine?

                          <davidwi@...> wrote:

                          > > ...I

                          came across a 1960's complete set of Mechanics
                          > > Illustrated.
                          > > >  In it are plans for a do it yourself  arc welder/
                          > > spot welder. The
                          > > spot
                          > > > welder hand gun. Metal
                          benders, I will have to

                          --
                          Toward freedom,

                          Bobby Yates Emory

                        • David Lee
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 24, 2005

                            David Lee

                            --
                            Toward freedom,

                            Bobby Yates Emory

                            Yahoo! Shopping

                          • kwolson2002
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 27, 2005
                              Guys -

                              There is a webpage here:

                              http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/welding/spool.htm

                              which shows a homemade spool gun for a MIG welder - it has gas bottle
                              capability as well as the expected flux core. It appears to be a work
                              in progress. This runs off a cordless drill, but could be rigged to
                              run off a universal motor if a dedicated unit was planned. Relocating
                              the spool drive shouldn't be that hard also if a more svelt torch was
                              envisioned. He doesn't have explicit plans, but has some great
                              pictures. Also, his email is on his webpages, so he might provide
                              guidance if asked nicely.

                              His main welding page appears to be here:

                              http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/welding/welding.htm

                              He is a dealer for Zena, the aformentioned alternator-welder-for-
                              purchase, and shows a homemade welder built from one. He also
                              references combining the Zena units to provide up to 600 amps, though
                              he gives no specifics.

                              Again, the electronics involved are a bit out of my comfort zone (I'm
                              working hard to expand the zone), so I'm not sure how helpful this
                              is, but it seems to me the spool gun could be a useful addition to
                              the arsenal. This could be very handy when building up shaft bearing
                              surfaces in a lathe if the speed control could be fiddled with to
                              match it to the saddle feed, used with a limit switch to kill the
                              welder at the end of a pass.

                              Kevin

                              --------