Re: [multimachine] 69 new members?

  • Damian Gunjak
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2011
      Gotta say, this will be interesting.

      I am setting a new shop, and having an alternative to many of the pricey crap thats being sold .... is a definitive plus

      On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Donn Kirchhoff <dkirchhoff17@...> wrote:

      I think it was Jalopnik.

      port-o-donn. If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough

        Gotta say this. Everything on the $200 16" lathe project is something that either has been used for over 90 years or that is completely obvious. If great care is taken during construction the machine will be accurate. Yeomans lathes turned out millions of large cannon shells in WW1 that were accurate enough to hit the German trenches and not ours. Yeomans used a curved "shoe" on the round ways while we use heavy angle iron, this should have no effect on accuracy.
        Our thread follower uses foot long hardwood blocks to follow a sample thread, the "averaging" effect of this contact length should make for accurate threading. Yeomans lathes did not have to thread.

        Pat
        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Damian Gunjak <damian.gunjak@...> wrote:

        > Gotta say, this will be interesting.
        >
        > I am setting a new shop, and having an alternative to many of the pricey
        > crap thats being sold .... is a definitive plus
        >
        > On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Donn Kirchhoff <dkirchhoff17@...>wrote:
        >

        > > I think it was Jalopnik.
        > >
        > > port-o-donn. If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough

      • John_WP_Cliff
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2011
          I saw it from the makezine blog...

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

          > Were we mentioned some place??????
          >
          > Pat

        • mmccoo
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2011
            The Gingery yahoo group is where I heard.

            Miles