Re: [multimachine] Re: Drawing progress update and questions.

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks Dennis
    Alignment would still be a problem since this will have to be a 1 chuck system if it is going to be cheap. What I am trying to avoid is the cost of extra machines, vises and chucks. I think a $300 machine that can do the Mazak piece is a very worthy goal.

    I have attached a draft of the first 6 pages. They are not in the format for Instructables as they should be.

    Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
      It's surprising how similar designs can come from different sources.
      My bed is also going to be cement based, but I'm using two I-beams for the ways. It appears that the round ways have a decent distance between them as does my design and the leadscrew is run through the center of the machine instead of down one side. I've taken my design tips from the giant yet portable machines as they are always "too slender" for high quality work, yet the designers have figured out ways to make machines that are "too light" work with excellent tolerances.

      I imagine something like a full length boring bar could be used to align the ways in addition to a few identical lengths of bar stock.

      I'm also going to see if I still have plans for an "incidence" gauge and see if it can be adapted as an alignment device.

      Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
        sounds good to me

        Pat