Re: O.T. Silly power source for deepest suburbia 2011/04/01

  • DennisF MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
      Dear Group - - - IF NOT IN A JOCULAR MOOD OR TIME TO BE SILLY PLEASE
      DELETE.           2011 Apr.1

            Laying in bed I had a leviticous moment that would make a good Green Party

      promotional theme. It could also be used to drive ones power tools or whatever

        In the same way we can travel so much faster while riding a bicycle  than
      walking or running, I thought/dreamt,  what if we could train a horse to ride a
      two sprocket bicycle!            If one were to put virtual reality goggles on a

      horse could the playing/showing of a horse race movie make the horse think it
      was taking part?; would the vehicle need some type of automatic transmission to
      take advantage of such great horsepower?; could one cradle said horse in a
      harness and have it drive a treadmill; power hydraulic pistons to drive a large
      flywheel?; a generator? For moving, such a vehicle would need either a sack on
      the hind side or a quick picker-upper! Would one steer the horse to steer the
      bicycle or vehicle or just let the horse go willy-knilly and steer the bicycle /

      tricycle / quadricicle,  oneself. Mounting a heavy hydraulically driven flywheel

      horizontally could temper some of the bouncing should said horse start to
      gallop but might drive the horse into a dizzying tizzy if its bearings were to
      seize up. One could also use reciprocating stator shocks with either internal or

      external magnets to power electric lights as  well as acting as electrical
      generating/alternating shock absorbers.   Now all that might take care of
      giddy-up-go, but shouting HO or WOE  might be a problem. Though  only one,
      that's still

      a lot of HORSE power to stop. Would we need hydraulic brakes or even brakes with
      an electrical

      power assist. Instead of coolant temperature & oil pressure gauges It might be
      prudent to have a heart monitor and facilities for oats and water. I haven't
      figured out where would be the best place to sit; on top  would raise the center

      of gravity so that's a negative. Behind might be hard to see; In front might be
      smashing as well as biting ones tongue while it is placed firmly in cheek.

      If able, keep smiling

      dennis mac
    • michael broadbent
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hi,
            What a brilliant idea but not with out limitations.Although the humble horse
        was used to define power

        there are more powerful animals that could be used.
             The one that springs to mind is the Bull,not only a strong animal with
        stamina it as the added advantage

        that any of the waste products could be posted on line .

        Mikeafloat

[...]

        Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction,
        shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.
        -------------Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill F