Re: [multimachine] Help with document conversion

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
      Thank you very much Gordon. Just send it to me since it already is in "files" and will be in the book.

      Pat

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
          Hi Pat,

          As I said in my earlir post - Rollie's Dad's Method will only work under certain specific circumstances.

          The description of RDM given in the pdf concerns the use of the method to correct for errors due to the lathe bed being warped.  There are two parts to the description:

          One part explains why a straight test bar is not necessary and describes how to compensate for a bent test bar (there is nothing wrong with this part of the description).

          The second part describes how to align the bed - this process is flawed.

          Following the test process:
          Take a measurement with the DTI at the headstock end and take the high-low average.
          Take a measurement at the talstock end and take the high-low average.
          If the tailstock readings indicate that the DTI plunger is (on average) pushed further in to the DTI this could be due to one of three reasons:

          1) The bed may be twisted so the tailstock foot nearest the operator is higher than the one furthest from the operator.

          2) The headstock spindle may be twisted so the tailstock end of the bar is nearer to the operator than the headstock end.

          3) Both of the above are true - the bed is twisted and the spindle axis is not parallel to the bed.

          In a real lathe, option 3) is the most likely.  RDM will tell you something is wrong, but does not give a way of identiying whether the problem is the axis alignment or a warped bed.

          The only way to check the bed for skew is to use a level (an engineers or machinists level - a normal carpenters level is nowhere near sensitive enough).  Once the bed is true RDM can be used to align the headstock.

          Alternatively, if the lathe was manufactured and setup in a factory to a known level of accuracy, and the headstock has not been disturbed, RDM can correct for the bed skew on the assumption that the headstock axis is already true.

          Ian.