Re: download manager that will download PM etc. from Google books...

  • charlesmitchard
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 2:19 AM
      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

      > Ladies and Gentlemen, I was pointed at a free open source download manager that will download whole magazines from Google books. I've downloaded the December 1944 issue of Popular Science. I was trying for pages 202-204, which describe a way to DIY magnalflux small parts. Might be quite useful for MM builders! Got the whole magazine, instead, as individual color jpg files.
      >
      > the download page is here, and includes MAC, Windows, & Linux versions.
      > http://jdownloader.org/download/index
      >
      > I'm not sure it will download books from google, but am checking on that now...
      >
      > and for at least some, the answer is YES! the Advanced Machinist is coming down in individual pages as png files, and it's putting them in the same directory as all my other downloads. I guess I should have specified a separate directory for each one...
      >
      > this is pretty cool!
      >
      > those of you outside the US might want to experiment and see if this will work for you. I did get a popup asking me to agree to the Google TOS, haven't seen it since the agreeing the first time.
      >
      > Might not want to grab a bunch of books at one time, either. Even on Google's servers, there is a limit, I'm sure.
      >
      > Bill in OKC

      Hi Bill,
      I cant even get the downloader. It keeps throwing up adverts and its premium service.
      Took ages till I could click the free button, got the email, went there, nothing, just an uploader service for a file hosting service.
      Adverts in german, home base in hong kong.
      What did I do wrong?
      Also had to sign up to continue.
    • Jose Luis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 2:59 AM
        Hie, I had the same problem, try to download the "offline installer" instead. It worked for me and I already downloaded some stuff....

        José.

        Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:19 AM
        Subject: [multimachine] Re: download manager that will download PM etc. from Google books...

        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

        > Ladies and
        Gentlemen, I was pointed at a free open source download manager that will download whole magazines from Google books. I've downloaded the December 1944 issue of Popular Science. I was trying for pages 202-204, which describe a way to DIY magnalflux small parts. Might be quite useful for MM builders! Got the whole magazine, instead, as individual color jpg files.

        > the
        download page is here, and includes MAC, Windows, & Linux versions.

        http://jdownloader.org/download/index

        > I'm not sure it will download books from google, but am checking on
        that now...

        > and for at least some, the answer is YES! the
        Advanced Machinist is coming down in individual pages as png files, and it's putting them in the same directory as all my other downloads. I guess I should have specified a separate directory for each one...

        > this is
        pretty cool!

        > those of you outside the US might want to
        experiment and see if this will work for you. I did get a popup asking me to agree to the Google TOS, haven't seen it since the agreeing the first time.

        > Might not want to grab a bunch of books at one time,
        either. Even on Google's servers, there is a limit, I'm sure.

        Bill in OKC

        Hi Bill,
        I cant even get the downloader. It keeps throwing up adverts and its premium service.
        Took ages till I could click the free button, got the email, went there, nothing, just an uploader service for a file hosting service.
        Adverts in german, home base in hong kong.
        What did I do wrong?
        Also had to sign up to continue.

      • Gordon Haag
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 3:55 PM
          I have it but I haven't used it yet. The install went perfectly for Ubuntu linux. Took only a few clicks.

          Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 10:19 AM