way idea?

  • michael broadbent
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011

    Hi,
        Doddling on my pc ,I wondered if this idea would work.
    A larger diameter pipe set in concrete with odd lumps attached to key in to concrete.
    Four holes drilled at 90 degrees and bolts inserted as per drawing
    With bolts in position shown it would act like a four jaw chuck to align.
    In the main drawing nuts are weilded to larger pipe ,if  not able to weild nuts could be inserted as shown in inset
    The  gap between the two pipes could be filled with grout but i wonder if packing ie rope could be used .

    I have not put this in any folder as I do not know how to plus would like comments first.

    Regards
    Mikeafloat
    .

    ------------------------------------

    -------------
    We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

    Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

    <*> To change settings via email:
        multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
        multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  • oldstudentmsgt
    Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2011
      Michael, I think it would work well. I'd extend the outer pipe past the ends of the lathe base, and pour the gap between the way pipe and the outer pipe full of molten lead. You could use rope packing between them to hold the lead in while it cools.

      And I've found a method of stiffening the ways on a Unimat that I think would work well for our MMLathe, as well. I'm uploading it to the MMLathe group as "Unimat Mk4 Way stiffeners for MMLathe.pdf"

      It is a copy of a post from the Unimat group, with photos from a current Ebay item showing an example of the bar-type stiffeners te author has mentioned before on the Unimat group.

      HTH!

      Bill in OKC