New gooseneck drawing

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
      I took a bunch of your suggestions and included them in a new childish drawing, in "files" lathe construction folder. it is "gooseneck carriage1"

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
        On 02/02/2011 03:13 PM, Pat wrote:
        > I took a bunch of your suggestions and included them in a new childish drawing, in "files" lathe construction folder. it is "gooseneck carriage1"
        >
        > Pat

        That addresses a lot of the objections.

        I still think cast in place bushings would limit wear.

        BTW, the way supports mean that a much smaller way won't chatter or sag,
        and that is a great advantage. I assume that the support will be
        adjustable and narrower than it appears. In fact, a simple flat support
        in a slot (like a keyway) would work if the way wear can be controlled.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
          Thanks Dave
          The reason I put the "V" on top of the support bar is because (I think) thrust during cutting is both down and sideways to the right side way. I thought that maybe the support bar should be in line with the thrust. I think I need an engineer to figure this one out for me.
          The Yeomans support looks pretty stout even if it was not shown on the original patent.

          Pat

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

          > On 02/02/2011 03:13 PM, Pat wrote:
          > > I took a bunch of your suggestions and included them in a new childish drawing, in "files" lathe construction folder. it is "gooseneck carriage1"
          > >
          > > Pat
          >
          > That addresses a lot of the objections.
          >
          > I still think cast in place bushings would limit wear.
          >
          > BTW, the way supports mean that a much smaller way won't chatter or sag,
          > and that is a great advantage. I assume that the support will be
          > adjustable and narrower than it appears. In fact, a simple flat support
          > in a slot (like a keyway) would work if the way wear can be controlled.
          >
          > Dave 8{)

        • michael broadbent
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

            Hi
               for reasons I could not fathom Yahoo was stopping me opening any files in any of the groups I belong to but last night it was open sesame.Having now looked through the files I have a few questions.

              Is the aim for this to be built in 3rd world countries
              Use material that are available locally
              What skill levels are likely to be known
              Tools available.
              Capacity of the machine.

            As anyone though of using railway track as ways?

            Thanks for reading

            Mikeafloat

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
              Hi Mike
              This is a good idea that has come up before. The question has always been "how do you get them flat and smooth". Round ways can be turned on many lathes but finding a machine for track would be something else!

              Pat

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
                In Third World countries it is more likely that railroad tracks are very rare than readily availble.
                Many of them don't even have railway systems, let alone rails that are left abandoned for free picking.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011

                  At 11:45 AM 2/3/2011, you wrote:

                  Hi
                     for reasons I could not fathom Yahoo was stopping me opening any files in any of the groups I belong to but last night it was open sesame.Having now looked through the files I have a few questions.

                    Is the aim for this to be built in 3rd world countries
                    Use material that are available locally
                    What skill levels are likely to be known
                    Tools available.
                    Capacity of the machine.

                  As anyone though of using railway track as ways?

                  Yea, me, use one directly under the spindle as a flat and level reference to the centerline of the chuck spindle, just turn it upside down and use the flat bottom, it should be easy to align it.

                  oh and before I forget, for those using sketchup click on WINDOW/COMPONENTS Then in the components search window type LATHE
                  A list of Lathes others have made will be listed for Download .
                  besides Lathe I tryed Lead screw ; one of the components that came up was a Split half nut.
                  skirt; mostly woman;s dress's
                  Apron; mostly bath tubs???
                  steady rest ; 7x12 mini lathe
                  Tail stock ; 2 tail stocks one is only a rectangle with a bunch of measurements.
                  Lathe Tools ; any thing and every thing, but lathe tools.
                  Spindle bearings ;3 items one bearing housing, one spindle(wheel type) , a folder with lathe spindle's
                  Thot I'd pass this info along while I have sketchup 7.1 open.

                  Thanks for reading

                  Mikeafloat

                • michael broadbent
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Hi Sam
                           I am beginning to think sketch up is the best thing since they invented tomato ketch up.In the warehouse section it list over 300 lathes and I am slowly learning the knacks involved to use it.
                        I would recommend it to all as it free and fairly user friendly.

                    Mikeafloat

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                        Just retried and I only got 162 as well?

                        Not sure how I thought there were more but still interesting.

                        Must go to fishing group and explain my 4ft trout.

                        Mikeafoat

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                          You guys are a lot smarter than me! Sketchup has eaten my lunch hundreds of times. I have learned one thing to pass on, if you change a Sketchup drawing be very careful to check that you have removed the artifacts on all sides. If something is not perfect, go no farther until you fix it.

                          Pat

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                            This is true of every 3d-modeling package that was not really a true CAD system I've ever used.  Part of the price that you pay for an easier learning curve is that the software will just "take a guess" at what is supposed to happen, and it is up to you to find and fix it when that guess is wrong.  In a real CAD setup, you have to specify every little detail, but at least things come out the way you told it to work (even if that is not what you intended.)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011

                            Hi,
                                Doddling on my pc ,I wondered if this idea would work.
                            A larger diameter pipe set in concrete with odd lumps attached to key in to concrete.
                            Four holes drilled at 90 degrees and bolts inserted as per drawing
                            With bolts in position shown it would act like a four jaw chuck to align.
                            In the main drawing nuts are weilded to larger pipe ,if  not able to weild nuts could be inserted as shown in inset
                            The  gap between the two pipes could be filled with grout but i wonder if packing ie rope could be used .

                            I have not put this in any folder as I do not know how to plus would like comments first.

                            Regards
                            Mikeafloat
                            .

                            ------------------------------------

                            -------------
                            We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

                            Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • oldstudentmsgt
                            Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2011
                              Michael, I think it would work well. I'd extend the outer pipe past the ends of the lathe base, and pour the gap between the way pipe and the outer pipe full of molten lead. You could use rope packing between them to hold the lead in while it cools.

                              And I've found a method of stiffening the ways on a Unimat that I think would work well for our MMLathe, as well. I'm uploading it to the MMLathe group as "Unimat Mk4 Way stiffeners for MMLathe.pdf"

                              It is a copy of a post from the Unimat group, with photos from a current Ebay item showing an example of the bar-type stiffeners te author has mentioned before on the Unimat group.

                              HTH!

                              Bill in OKC