Re: Important dimensions question/Paul

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
      Dimensions by cup and paper plate model.
      Swing is 20"
      Ways (centers)are 11" wide, 2" od. Would prefer larger but...
      Carriage is 17" wide, 12" long. Wrong proportions I know but remember that the lead screw is between the ways and not on the side like most lathes. The carriage could be longer but this takes up valuable space and also causes a problem with a tail stock.

      Top of carriage/cross slide/compound is 5" (2" concrete plus 4 pcs 3/4" steel)above the top of the ways. This will let the carriage fit under a 6 to 7" workpiece. Spindle is 8.5" above the height of the ways.
      The swing is a little excessive but is a result of simple concrete and plate carriage construction.

      This is very important, I hope a bunch of you guys will get your cups and saucers out and then let me know what you think.