Re: [multimachine] Re: A totally new machine

  • sdewolfe@cricketlady.com
    Message 1 of 79 , Jan 7, 2011
      Dave,

      Pat described a temporary lathe based on an engine with the crank in
      place. I think I saw it in his book but it might have been here. I recall
      that he suggested grease fittings could be installed in the main bearing
      caps. The operator would be responsible to keep the bearings greased.

      I personally would prefer to have the oil pump running.

      I haven't got an engine to try this but I think it will work. Block all
      the oil and water passages that feed the head at the block face. Leave the
      cam and cam gear in place to drive the pump. Modify the pickup tube to
      reach into whatever cylinder it will fit. You will certainly need to cut
      and weld the pickup tube, lengthen it, bend it around, etc. As long as the
      pickup gets all the way down into a cylinder the mission is accomplished.

      At the block face, where the head once lived, the engine will be mounted
      on a steel plate. That interface will have to be sealed up with rubber,
      RTV, cork, or whatever gasket to make it oil tight.

      Use a grinder with a cut-off wheel to make a deep groove between each
      cylinder. The idea is to create an oil galley that connects all the
      cylinders together. The cylinders are now the sump for the oil pump and
      the steel mounting plate is the bottom of the sump.

      As long as the timing chain is connected the cam will turn, driving the pump.

      It would be a really good idea to prime the pump before getting started
      for the day so the bearings would not startup dry.

      Check my reasoning and let me know if I've overlooked anything.

      Now, what to do about thrust on the crankshaft? Er, I mean spindle. ;-)

      Regards,

      Shannon DeWolfe
      at work

      Message 79 of 79 , Jan 13, 2011
        Yes it does. I happen to have two identical Mazda 1.6L blocks. I do not
        have the crankshafts but the bearing caps are all there. I will read the
        Gingery method and get back to you on this.

        --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 54 year old fat man.