Re: [multimachine] Midgeport mill assumptions+math

  • Lance
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
      Hi keith,

      pat's sketch had the knee lying on a bed at 45 degree
      back tilt.

      I figured it lying flat, more like a vise on the bed base.

      Roton = Great site.

      So let's use 1.0 x 5 tpi w/ bronze nut 31% at 5000 lbs op rating.

      2.2/31%=7 lbs operator input force.

      What IS an acceptable input force?
      I figured 5 lbs max effort?

      We can make the wheel larger or maybe change the diam of the
      rolling wheel/axle combo.

      lance
      ++++
      On Sep 2, 2010, at 6:07 PM, keith gutshall wrote:

      Hello Lance
      I can not find Pat's photo, On a vertical mill the knee lifts every thing.
       It is mounted to the column .

       An acme thread 1.x5 is only 23% efficent. Roton Products Inc.

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
        Hello Lance
         I figured it takes 0.7071lbs of force to lift one pound of weight up a 45* angle
         That is no counting friction.

         But with the table set at the same angle things are going to slide off it with
         the same force.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
          True.
          The knee weighs 1000#

          so to move just it would take 707 #.
          I can't exert that much force, can you?

          lance
          ++++

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
            Hello Lance
            I think it has to do with leverage.The threads on the leadscrew plus a lever arm
             a (handle) of the correct lenght would move it fine.

            With the knee at 45* puts 1000 lbs  of weight on the ways.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
              Hi Keith,

              I  may not be explaining my idea correctly.

              If the knee moves vertically, the screw must provide 100%  (1000# + work.) = mass
              + stiction+ acceleration.

              If the knee moves horizontally, the screw must provide
              for rolling friction and a small acceleration of the mass.
              The full weight of the mass is borne by the ways (bed).

              If the knee is inclined at 45 deg, then the screw must provide
              71% of the mass + rolling friction + acceleration.

              The lowest load on the screw is in the horizontal position
              of the "knee"  ie: a horizontal mill.

              If there is an advantage to the tilted bed, what is it?

              lance
              ++++

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
                Hello Lance
                 Pat is thinking about a Bridgeport type machine with the knee that moves.
                He is tilting it over to 45* ,trying to  make the load easier to move.
                With the high weight 1000lbs no matter which way it moves it the same weght.

                 After a machine gets to a certian size it is easier just to move the carriage and table
                 the spindle and motor might have a set of ways  to move on.
                The motor and spindle is easier to move then a large knee.

                From my view of a tilted bed,There is no advantage to it .It looks dangerous to me,
                at that angle all the parts will slide off on you foot.
                I ran a machine a long time ago, and handled large heavy parts.If the bed had of been tilted
                 at 45* it would have been impossable to set up the parts.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2010
                  The only advantage that I see in a set of inclined bed ways would be the
                  positional accuracy of the bed due to it's always resting firmly on the
                  ways because of it's mass. But that same accuracy can be built into any
                  bed no matter what direction to traveled in.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2010
                    HI Bruce
                    You are correct about a mass staying on the ways.
                    But is mass and brute force the answer?
                    The smaller machines seem to do fine without a lot of mass.
                    Is mass the answer to the problem,or is it something we have
                    overlooked in our designs?

                    > positional accuracy of the bed due to it's always resting
                    > firmly on the
                    > ways because of it's mass. But that same accuracy can be
                    > built into any
                    > bed no matter what direction to traveled in.
                    >
                    > Bruce
                    >
                    > Lance wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Keith,
                    > >

                    > > I may not be explaining my idea correctly.
                    > >
                    > > If the knee moves vertically, the screw must provide
                    > 100% (1000# +
                    > > work.) = mass
                    > > + stiction+ acceleration.
                    > >
                    > > If the knee moves horizontally, the screw must
                    > provide
                    > > for rolling friction and a small acceleration of the
                    > mass.
                    > > The full weight of the mass is borne by the ways
                    > (bed).
                    > >
                    > > If the knee is inclined at 45 deg, then the screw must
                    > provide
                    > > 71% of the mass + rolling friction + acceleration.
                    > >
                    > > The lowest load on the screw is in the horizontal
                    > position
                    > > of the "knee" ie: a horizontal mill.
                    > >
                    > > If there is an advantage to the tilted bed, what is
                    > it?
                    > >
                    > > lance
                    > > ++++
                    > >
                    > > On Sep 2, 2010, at 9:41 PM, keith gutshall wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Hello Lance
                    > >> I think it has to do with leverage.The threads on
                    > the leadscrew plus
                    > >> a lever arm
                    > >> a (handle) of the correct lenght would move it
                    > fine.
                    > >> With the knee at 45* puts 1000 lbs of weight on
                    > the ways.

                    >     multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • wildstrumph
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2010
                      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:

                      > HI Bruce
                      > You are correct about a mass staying on the ways.
                      > But is mass and brute force the answer?
                      > The smaller machines seem to do fine without a lot of mass.
                      > Is mass the answer to the problem,or is it something we have
                      > overlooked in our designs?

                      I believe it's a design issue. If you examine the old "How to Build" document from several years ago, you will see that Pat raised the knee with a scissor jack, which he placed next to the column. This provides support for the knee close to the column only, allowing the weight of the knee to pull it away from the slides. This caused the slides to jam and prevented the knee from sliding freely despite the nicely gibbed slide assembly.

                      Tipping the machine back 45* could solve the problem (at the expense of introducing others), but so should moving the jack out from the column. I think the ideal place for it is probably below the center of mass for the knee/table/cross-slide. The old knee mills I've seen place the screw near the middle of the knee.

                      --
                      brian
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2010
                        On 09/02/2010 08:21 PM, Lance wrote:
                        True.
                        The knee weighs 1000#

                        so to move just it would take 707 #.
                        I can't exert that much force, can you?

                        lance
                        ++++

                        Give me a long enough lever, a fulcrum, and a place to stand and I can...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 3, 2010
                          On 09/02/2010 10:24 PM, Lance wrote:
                          <SNIP>If there is an advantage to the tilted bed, what is it?

                          lance
                          ++++
                          WARNING:  SILLINESS ALERT!

                          Well, you won't have to curse when the cutter grabs something on the knee and flings it across the room into a window, it will have fallen off already!
                        • Lance
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2010
                            Group,

                            My camera and I took a walk thru our local
                            concrete yard looking for lathe parts.

                            Found bed, carriage, head and tail stock parts.
                            Concrete can be polished smooth to make a
                            sliding surface.

                            Take a look here:

                            http://yhoo.it/d8ohKw
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 4, 2010
                              Lance,

                              I think you would spend more time and effort adding hardware to those
                              pre-cast pieces than you would building forms and pouring with
                              reinforcement, prestressed rods, threaded inserts, cast in place bars, etc.

                              --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 54 year old fat man.