concrete bench lathe and other things

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
      Howdy all,

      I apologize for the rambling nature of this email. My mail account is
      bouncing all Yahoo Group emails and maybe personal emails too, I don't
      know. I visited the multimachine group web page and saw several posts.
      This email is a response to all I saw.

      As of this moment I am still not receiving emails from Yahoo Groups. If
      I am slow to respond, that is why.

      Concrete poured in thin cross-section will sag and break of its own
      weight. There are park benches at work I need to photograph that clearly
      illustrate that thicker is better for simple concrete designs. I am sure
      there are engineered solutions to solve the problems of thin section
      concrete. But, would those solutions be available to someone with no
      money and no engineering background?

      Keep in mind the intended builder and would be user of this lathe; the
      village blacksmith/mechanic/Mr. Fixit who learned his trade as an
      apprentice. Most likely he has no education and therefore cannot read.
      Written instructions would be of no use to him. The final design of the
      lathe has to be repeatable using nothing but drawings, junkyard and
      woodlot sourced parts, bags of cement, and water. Anything more exotic
      or more expensive than that will not solve the problem of providing a
      lathe for this person.

      If portability is a design goal, we need to settle on a size. Maybe we
      should build two lathes; one fully functional bench top lathe small
      enough to ship by plane to whatever venue is necessary to show the
      concept. The second lathe should be built to meet Pat's specs of a
      universal lathe with a spindle center 16" above the bed. We could
      document the build and film it working to run as a movie or slide show
      in the background while the bench lathe is demonstrated live. Or
      something like that. ;-)

      I have some ideas for a bench lathe that might solve the problems of
      pipe ways and thin section concrete. What if the ways are embedded in
      vertical concrete supports? The entire bed and head stock consists of
      four concrete blocks bolted together with six pieces of all-thread. The
      front way is round section embedded in the concrete during the pour. The
      rear way is RHS turned up (diamond shape) and likewise embedded during
      the concrete pour.

      See attached drawings. I have omitted inserts and reinforcement from the
      drawings in an effort to present a little more understandable drawing.
      Shop drawings will call out necessary hardware and reinforcement.
      Dimensions shown are for a point of reference; I don't claim this is the
      best size, just one that I think would breakdown into several pieces
      that could be crated for transport at freight rates. Comments,
      criticism, discussion welcomed.

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 54 year old fat man.
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
      Second attempt. The attachment did not go through. It was shown as a
      photo but only the file name was viewable. Let's see if it goes through
      this time...

      Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
        Same result second time around.

        I posted the drawings in the multimachine library (that I didn't know
        about until Pat's recent post). If you really want to see the drawings
        you can find the jpg here:

        Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
          Absolutely wonderful ideas!
          About email, I'll check your group settings but be sure that the group "from address" is in your address book.

          Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010

            Perhaps you guys should consider ferrocement.  This is a concrete with fine aggregate, heavily reinforced with things like fencing, chicken wire, hardware cloth etc.

            Any event it is a fun concept, and potentially applicable to a bench lathe.  dw

            David Wimberley

            540-665-2124

            Wimberley, Inc.

            974 Baker Lane

            Winchester, VA   22603

            www.tripodhead.com

            Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
              Guys
              About David, he is one of the few guys who makes a living with something he invented. He also invented a great cutting tool and wrote about it in a recent HSM.

              Pat