Re: [multimachine] New Glass Lathe

    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 21, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 133 KB
    Gordon,

    This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway; do you really need ways for your glass blowing lathe?

    I searched the term "glass blowing lathe" and found a couple of companies, one in the US and one in England, that make them. I watched a few videos of the process. Pretty cool stuff -- who doesn't like playing with fire? ;-)

    Even though the commercially available lathes do have traditional ways between the two head units, I could not see why they were necessary. The only video I saw where the ways and carriage were used was to mount a semi-circular manifold with several gas jets. The carriage was moved back and forth to play the flames along a 100mm section of the glass tube. The same thing could be accomplished with a rack and pinion steering section from a car. Mount the steering gear on a stand (bolted to a saw horse, for instance), mount the torch to one of the steering links, position the assembly as needed. For the back and forth motion, mount a pendulum to the input shaft of the steering assembly. Push the pendulum as needed to maintain motion.

    I've included attachments of one way to accomplish what you want to do. I am not saying it is the only way. Nor do I claim it is the best way; only a way. Viewing the images, the right side engine block, the driveshaft support bushings, and the driven end of the shaft are all movable. Loosen the bolts in the T-slots, loosen the shaft coupling, move to new position, and re-tighten. Check alignment between the spindles and adjust as necessary. I will leave it to you to solve the coupling of the drive and driven shafts. But, your idea for a collet might work there.

    BTW, this is not my idea. Thomas Knutsen sent me a link to a book about pattern making. On the front plate there was a beautiful pattern maker's multi-purpose lathe. It is the Model 21 made by the Oliver Machine Co. Take a look:

    http://www.owwm.com/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2678

    --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 54 year old fat man.

    On 8/20/2010 11:44 PM, Gordon Haag wrote: Shafting made from " high quality alloy steel" that is case hardened, will deflect .00012" over 36" with a 20 pound load (http://www.nookindustries.com/linear/LinearGlossary.cfm#Deflection)
    I dont think the movable headstock will weigh more than 10 pounds, and the torch holder will not weigh more than 3.

    So I will use hardened shafting if I can find it, but I think I will be fine with 1" CRS mild steel rod.
  • Dave C
    Message 38 of 38 , Oct 18, 2010
      Hi All,
      Check with a truck transmission shop or salvage. Splined PTO shafts and splined yokes are commonly available in most lengths at a reasonable price. These splined PTO shafts are very tough and wear resistant. The yokes slide easily and could have the U-Joint yoke cut off and a chain sprocket or toothed belt sprocket welded on.
      Dave