Re: lathe table belt drive idea

  • Kaitlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
      I can only say a couple of words here. It is best if at all possable
      to have the lead screw gearing in a direct relationship to the lathe
      head itself. I guess only if you wish to cut screws that were the same
      exact matches everytime.

      Of course being able to change the speed of the lead screw is a good
      thing, but still in direct relationship to the lathe head itself I
      would think, yes?

      To just turn a shaft down, then a nice slow speed lead screw not
      matching the lathe head would work. Just my two cent worth.

      KT
      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jhan5en@y...> wrote:To
      > realy get tricky you could drive it with a variable speed motor from
      > something like a walking machine and make some realy nice looking
      parts.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
        KT
        I agree that it wouldn't thread at this state but power feed is a
        wonderfull thing. Now that the drive is motorized it is not a big
        step to add a pc and a simple program to set the feeds and speeds
        to thread or cut any pitch that you want. The belt drive has no
        backlash and that can definately improve the appearance of your
        parts especialy for a beginner.
        This obviously isn't a good solution if your machine is 1 mule
        powered or if there is no such thing as a pc within 50 miles but
        this is a great time for a lot of the world to add an old pc as a
        controller. I can buy the parts to build a PII 300 a great
        controller for about $25.00 here in Seattle.
        How this topic started!
        One of the engneers at work gave me a challenge, if you were to design
        a lathe with modern components for an economical price what would it
        look like? This is a great group of creative people to bounce things
        off of.
        Jeff

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
          My 2 bits about a "new" machine.

          A short but heavy elevating bed with fine power feed
          to raise,lower and check level. Swing would be
          24"(partly necessary because of the type of jaws
          needed to close all the way down with a 5" spindle
          bore.

          The chuck would be relatively light for it's size and
          be manually tightened but have some kind of electronic
          centering. A laser with it's controller would detect
          and correct centering when the chuck rotation was
          stopped, the chuck loosened slighly and retightened.

          An electronically controlled lead screw instead of
          change gears. (FROG!)

          A 10 to 1 VFD with some kind of dual speed cog belt
          drive that would give 30 to 300 rpm and 300 to 3000
          rpm speeds. Lower speed would have power of back
          gears.

          To sum up, a simple but strong machine with electronic
          controls.

          Pat

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
            I like the laser idea. it could be incorporated in
            the bed and possibly be used to measure the work piece
            diameter. The current sensors tend to be robust and easy
            to use. We do have difficulty with the reflective surface
            finishes it sometimes affects the range.
            What would you think about moving the head piece up and
            down instead of the table? This is purely to relieve
            some operator fatigue from bending over to work on low
            parts I hate this about the Bridgport.
            While were adding parts, is your overarm rigid enough
            to be used as a tailstock? What do you think about chucking up a laser
            pointer to align the tailstock center point!

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              Jeff,
              This is wonderful! I am a lost ball in high weeds with a Mac. The $50
              program I am trying to use is Photo to Movie. It turns out a "Ken
              Burns" type of slide show that I'm going open with a long video of a
              "real" machinist making something with the MM.

              Incidentally, my wife won't let me use the toolpost any more because
              she thinks it is a piece of art that should not be screwed up. I guess
              that this makes you the official MM "Artist in Residence"!

              Pat