Re: History of bearings

  • oldstudentmsgt
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 9, 2010
      Donald, that all may be so, but it still worked for me, when I got the digest questioning the link the next day. I have my browser set to clear temporary files, so it shouldn't have saved the file, but I won't swear it didn't. I also said in both the original message and my reply that it was available in the files section. Look at the bottom of this message, which contains both the other messages.

      Bill in OKC

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Donald H Locker <dhlocker@...> wrote:

      > The length of that link has nothing to do with its validity. Any file that has one of those long random-looking directory names is a temporary. Don't bother to provide a link to it.
      >
      > Those very long links are temporary links created for the moment by Yahoo! servers. The actual file is stored in a database in any convenient machine in the Yahoo! space. When someone requests the file by clicking on its name in the group's files folder, the file is fetched from the database, stored in a temporary randomly-named location near the requestor and the link to that randomly-named location is returned to the user's browser. Voila, you are looking at the file. In my experience, the file is available for about 15 minutes, then expires from that temporary location. Anyone trying to view that file after it expires will get a different, unique, random link for that same file. Even the same user requesting the same file later may get a completely different link. Depends on how busy the servers are and how many files are being requested.
      >
      > (This saves a lot of hardware cost for the Web servers; they don't need nearly as much storage space as most files are in the huge distributed database, but can still deliver almost any file within a very short time.)
      >
      > Donald.
      >
      > ----- "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The link works for me when I click on it, but you can also go to the
      > > files section and scroll down. It's in there twice. Pat posted it in
      > > 2005, and there is another copy posted in 2008.

      > > maybe this link will work better for you, as it's shorter. Scroll past
      > > the various folders, and you'll soon see it.
      > >
      > > Bill in OKC
      > >
      > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@>
      > > wrote:

      > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kEm8S2bPIxDqj1RA29c1DJVeIhSe2xjTh8E7pTQChR14mOCqGnIPd_yMORup18bFNa0U5FUcODL1MezLeenxylHlLqSOvQ3pTXbH9iBOm7YrjqTyogs/bearing-book.pdf>
      > > book on
      > > twice in the
      > > >

      > > > Clicking on the above link gets an 'item not found' response. Would
      > > you
      > > > please provide some alternate connection?

    • Donald H Locker
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 9, 2010
        Yes. But the fact remains that those temporary links are dynamic and can not be relied on. Most people don't realise this and get upset when someone's "it worked for me" link is broken for everyone else. So I post the little explanation. I don't dispute your ability to access the file, just pointing out that others probably won't be able to get it there.

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 10, 2010
          Yes, but the fact remains that I told them how to get it if the link didn't work, as well. Been there, done that, before, myself. NO link is guaranteed to work at any time, ever.

          They do work just frequently enough to be annoying when they don't. ;)