Re: [multimachine] Vertical mill conceptual drawings

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2010
      Many thanks Dave

      Pat

      From: David G. LeVine <dlevine@...>
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 7:33:14 PM
      Subject: [multimachine] Vertical mill conceptual drawings

      There is now a couple of images in the photo area of the two block
      vertical mill concept and a drawing which helps explain the concept of a
      "split cotter".

    • Figge
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        When i look at one of the images, where the table
        has been made rotating with a second motor in the lower block.
        I started to think like this:
        What if i keep the crank-shaft in the lower block, and replaced the piston in the bore right below the upper spindle with something that slides up and down more exactly.
        Then we have a table that can move up and down in different speeds, allowing for shaper operations. Like cutting internal key ways etc.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
          Figge wrote:
          > When i look at one of the images, where the table
          > has been made rotating with a second motor in the lower block.
          > I started to think like this:
          > What if i keep the crank-shaft in the lower block, and replaced the piston in the bore right below the upper spindle with something that slides up and down more exactly.
          > Then we have a table that can move up and down in different speeds, allowing for shaper operations. Like cutting internal key ways etc.

          Good idea! It also is a knee if you want. (look at a vertical mill like
          a Bridgeport and you'll see it.)
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
            Lance wrote:
            > Dave,
            >
            > I really like the vertical mill concept
            > you have drawn. It's a real floor-space
            > saver that might even work in my very tight
            > space.
            >
            > I couldn't find the drawing of the "split cotter".
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > lance
            > ++++

            Yahoo! lost it, the "advanced uploader" didn't do too well. I went to
            the basic uploader and redid it. It's there now.
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
              Lance wrote:
              > Dave,
              >
              > I really like the vertical mill concept
              > you have drawn. It's a real floor-space
              > saver that might even work in my very tight
              > space.

              Remember, that lathe would be OVER a 24" swing. With a 4 banger, it
              would be LOTS smaller.

              I wonder if the 5 cylinder motors (like the GMC L52/Vortec 3500) are
              common and what the bore and stroke are, then there are the Mopar slant
              6 engines...

              Even if cylinders #1 and #4 were used for the verticals (broader stance
              for better stability),the swing would be at least 12", and that is still
              one big tool. Used as a vertical mill, a 12" "X" axis and an unlimited
              "Y" axis would be interesting, but might be better limited to sizes for
              which cross slide tables are easy to get, like the Grizzly G8750 6" x
              18.5" unit. Since the loads will always be over the saddle, the tables
              should last longer than they would holding a lathe tool...

              Also, if a different inline motor were used, the dimensions would change
              a lot. A Chevy 194 CID (1929-1936!) had only a 3.3125" bore and that
              would reduce the swing considerably. The 216 through 261 (1937-1961)
              had 3.5"-3.75" bores, the 194 through 292 (1962-1988) had bores of
              3.563"-3.875", which might not reduce size much, if at all.

              And looking at the machine as a lathe, the cross slide does not have to
              be at right angles to the posts, as long as the "X" axis is
              perpendicular to the "Z" axis (the bed ways), it could be at a small
              angle to the line through the centers of the two ways. I'll have to see
              if I can draw that up.
            • michael broadbent
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
                http://www.fullermetric.com/products/pin/din94cotter_pin.html

                > saver that might even work in my very tight
                > space.
                >
                > I couldn't find the drawing of the "split cotter".
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > lance
                > ++++

                Yahoo! lost it, the "advanced uploader" didn't do too well.  I went to
                the basic uploader and redid it.  It's there now.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • michael broadbent
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
                • 1 Attachment
                • 33 KB

                Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
                  michael broadbent wrote:

                  > http://www.fullermetric.com/products/pin/din94cotter_pin.html

                  Good reference material, but the wrong kind of "split cotter" What you
                  found is a device for locking a nut on a threaded section, but it is a
                  good find for future reference.
                  Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
                    michael broadbent wrote:
                    > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from michael broadbent included below]

                    Bingo! That is exactly what it is supposed to look like.