17855Re: [multimachine] Last 2 problems solved (maybe)

  • Kobus Van der Walt
    Nov 18, 2013
      Pat i like the 45deg
      I might be doing it wrong - but find myself getting down horizontal to the cutter and the job. I noticed that proficient machinists dont do that. Not sure why i do it- assuming inexperience.

      with a 45deg the machine can be lower, a chair- this might be a big negative, but all the machinist\artisans that i have met ended up having knee problems. and it start before their 50's. With computers the workstation layout is made more human friendly- with machine tools - except for safety- the human have to adopt to the machine environment.
      Maybe with the smaller machines this is not true anymore?

      I am well aware that computers dont have a spindle turning at a couple hundred rpm. If you are working on a laptop on a desk - did you notice that the screen is lower than it should be? It should be higher- (Thanks Nico Micheal,simple wooden device to get the screen to eye level) Now notice that the keyboard and screen are connected so adjusting it to a comfortable typing position and seeing on the screen might be working against each other. Get a separate keyboard?
      I think 45deg is more human friendly-except if your monkey brain let you stick you fingers in where they dont belong.
      regards
      Kobus

      On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Claude Timsit <claude.timsit@...> wrote:

      Good idea .. but if the support of thé sliding block had a V Sharpe (90degrees for instance) then thé sliding block could be square.. and no spring at all would be necessary( just gravity)!

      Claude

      Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> a écrit :

      Terrible attachment but would it work to eliminate:
      engine blocks
      big steel plates
      having to lock clamps during milling
      needing clamps at all?

      If this could be made to work, we would have an all purpose machine (less a shaper)
      Alignment would be a big problem but I think I have it partially figured out.

      BUT.. You have to remember that I am a very old guy and I can make big mistakes.
      AND.. you guys have to open your minds about tilting things. Remember that a big block of concrete can be dangerous and it is better to let all that weight work for us rather than against us.

      Some serious engineering needed here!

      On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:50 AM, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

      That still won't hold the vertical slide to the ways though.

      On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      Thanks Keith

      That is why I would do what everyone hates, bend the whole thing backwards 45 degrees so that the spindle points up at a 45 degree angle and the vert slide would always press against the block.

      Pat

      On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:15 PM, louis richardson <louisrfnauto@...> wrote:

      you can find thrust bearings ,and thrust washers in broken automatic transmissions.

      --
      Nick A

      "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

      "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

      "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

      "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic