17850Re: [multimachine] Last 2 problems solved (maybe)

    Nov 18, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 44 KB
    Terrible attachment but would it work to eliminate:
    engine blocks
    big steel plates
    having to lock clamps during milling
    needing clamps at all?

    If this could be made to work, we would have an all purpose machine (less a shaper)
    Alignment would be a big problem but I think I have it partially figured out.

    BUT.. You have to remember that I am a very old guy and I can make big mistakes.
    AND.. you guys have to open your minds about tilting things. Remember that a big block of concrete can be dangerous and it is better to let all that weight work for us rather than against us.

    Some serious engineering needed here!

    On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:50 AM, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

    That still won't hold the vertical slide to the ways though.

    On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

    Thanks Keith

    That is why I would do what everyone hates, bend the whole thing backwards 45 degrees so that the spindle points up at a 45 degree angle and the vert slide would always press against the block.

    Pat

    On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:15 PM, louis richardson <louisrfnauto@...> wrote:

    you can find thrust bearings ,and thrust washers in broken automatic transmissions.

    --
    Nick A

    "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

    "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

  • Show all 13 messages in this topic